News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Dell Update Utility

Posted on seattlerust Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

seattlerust 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

seattlerust
      AskWoody Plus

I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on a Dell XPS 8900 with 32 GB of Ram and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 display adapter. I have been using Dell computers for many years and have never used the Dell Update Utility to keep it current with Dell updates. I am wondering what I am missing and what the consensus is as to the advisability of using this tool. Any opinions?

Thanks,
      Seattlerust

• #1873691 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Funny that you should ask.  I assume that you are writing about Dell SupportAssist.  Today, DSA (for short) kept on pushing driver updates that I knew that I had already installed, months ago.  I wonder whether there is something wrong with it, and am waiting for an update.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #1873714 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

In my experience, unless you are having problems with your system there is usually not a good read to update drivers. You should go to the OEM support site and check what various updates change/fix. If there are security issues fixed you should consider installing them.

I have not found a good reason to have support software from any OEM running continuously. I have used both Dell and HP support programs to periodically check for updates and then decide what I want to install (if anything).

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1873746 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Seattlerust,

Personally, I have removed the program from all 5 of my Dell computers.

When it looks like I might need an update I just go to the Dell support site enter my express service code and see what is available and download what I need. This has worked well for me even through the BIOS updates for the Spectre/Meltdown malware. No phoning home on my systems if I can help it! LOL

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by
         RetiredGeek.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1873911 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

You are not missing anything. Simply go to Dell’s support pages for your XPS 8900. (I have the 8930 and the 8500 currently and have had Dell’s since the late 90’s). Put in your service tag number and then look at available updates and perhaps install one or more or none if your computer is running fine. Dell plays games with the dates for the updates and claims some are for new drivers for Real Tek audio or whatever and tells you to update. If you investigate, usually you find that the driver is really NOT new. You don’t need it or especially don’t need a new video driver (I have the same video card you have) UNLESS the one you have is lacking with some games you play and a newer version fixes the problem. Generally though, video card driver updates tend to cause problems (as did one from nVidia about six months or so ago and I had to revert back and this was after time wasted trying to figure out what was causing the crashes). Video card driver updates should always be directly from nVidia. Do not use Dell’s.

Dell is especially devious regarding bios updates and claims they are “urgent”. Be aware that you should NEVER update the bios on a Dell machine UNLESS expressly directed to do so by official Dell support (and make sure you get the name and badge number of the support tech who instructed you to update the bios). It is risky. I don’t know regarding the 8900 but there have been numerous bios updates for the 8930 since I got mine in December 2017. I only have ONE of those and that one only because Dell Small Business support insisted I needed it and that was when the computer was about six months old.

https://www.dell.com/community/Customer-Care-Wiki/Dell-Policy-BIOS-update-breaks-motherboard-CMOS/ta-p/6063959

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1873925 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

I think there were some security issues recently with SupportAssist. I personally unistall all “Del support apps” on all Dell machines in our company. DriverBooster is (by my opinion) very good tool that can help you update your drivers (not BIOS) for free.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
      --- Thomas A. Edison

• #1874080 Reply

seattlerust
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you all for your responses. I think I see a clear consensus that this utility is not needed nor advised and I shall proceed accordingly. Not surprised here but I personally have high regard for Dell and especially for their support and was willing to go with the utility unless I had evidence otherwise, that you have now given me.  (I had an exceptional incident a few years ago that impressed me with their interest and integrity towards their customers; it could have been a one-off, but until I see otherwise, I will assume otherwise).

So that you again.

SR

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Dell Update Utility

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.