News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Desktop Icons moving on their own

Posted on RockJohny Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Desktop Icons moving on their own

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        RockJohny
        AskWoody Plus

I’m still using W-7. My folders and files move around on their own. Today they’ve moved into horizontal rows instead of the vertical rows i had them in. Other times they’re just randomly blown all over the desktop. What ghost in the machine would be doing this?
        It’s happened off and on for a long time but now happens after waking up from sleep mode.

Also, i couldn’t post this question in the main forum, only this “Getting Started”. Do i need to be approved to post a question elsewhere?

Thanks

• #2278653 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Since you have not mentioned your system security i.e antivirus:
        Have you attempted to run an Antivirus scan or ar a malware check on your system?

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2278783 Reply
        anonymous

One setting to check: right click on the desktop, check the inside the View menu to see if Windows is allowed to Auto arrange icons. (These icon scrambles can also happen after changes to screen resolution.)

• #2278815 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

I read somewhere online it can be caused by your screen resolution changing when using certain apps or games with video playback. Do a search for desktop icons changing position on reboot or startup. I also remember one Microsoft forum member recommending a 3rd party app to remedy the problem. But first I would try what anonymous suggests in post #2278783 above.

Win7 SP1 Home x64, MacOS / Chromebook

• #2278980 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

In the AskWoody Newsletter, ISSUE 16.15.0 • 2019-04-22, Deanna, of OlderGeeks did a review of ‘Desktop Restore’. It can be downloaded at the OlderGeeks site. There are detailed instructions regarding Windows desktop settings, and they include using multiple monitors.

Icon scrambling can be triggered by changing monitor resolution… some programs can change the resolution, and they can be ones that you’ve installed, not mal-ware… rebooting… updating… and it can appear to happen randomly to us non-techy types. This little program lets you quickly save, and then later restore the icons, so they are the way you want to see them!

I’ve been using this, and find it makes using W10 much less frustrating, because it is so easy to fix it when they get mixed. It works with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Desktop Icons moving on their own

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.