News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Differing versions in Windows 10 computers

Posted on fbob6969 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Differing versions in Windows 10 computers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Kirsty 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

fbob6969
      AskWoody Plus

First let me say I’m not a guru, and am a bit confused here. I have a desktop computer with Windows 10. (Version 1803 Build 17134.523.) My laptop also is Windows 10. (Version 1809 Build 17763.253.) Both are HP computers if that matters. Can anyone tell me why I have two differing builds in Windows 10? My guess is that they’re two different machines, but beyond that I’m totally confused as to why they’re not the same build.

• #323445 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You have two different VERSIONS of Windows. Win10 1803 is not the same version as Win10 1809. They are different versions, not just different Builds.

You don’t say whether the OSs are Home or Pro. Depending on your settings, the result is that Windows Update has installed the different versions on your computers. If you have Win10 Home, there are very few ways to avoid Microsoft’s forced updates/upgrades. If you have Win10 Pro, there are settings that you can use to slow the forced changes.

There is some information here and here about blocking Win10 updates/upgrades.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #323448 Reply

Arvy
      AskWoody Lounger

Can anyone tell me why I have two differing builds in Windows 10?

If both of them originally had the same Windows 10 version installed in the first place (did they?) and if both have been configured with same update acceptance/delay settings (have they?), then the current difference is most likely to be a result of Microsoft’s “Windows as a Service” (WaaS) assessment of the two different machines. The MS release process for their most recent Windows 10.1809 version has been proceeding quite cautiously and it may simply be that the assessment of the desktop machine discovered some issue making it advisable to await some later update.

You could force the issue by downloading and installing W10.1809 yourself if you really want to. But, unless you have some carefully considered reason for doing that, it would be more prudent just to be patient and let that machine assessment and update process take its own cautious course.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Code board; Intel i9-9900K CPU; 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM; Nvidia GTX1080 GPU; 2x512 GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe; 2x2 TB Samsung 860 Pro SSDs; Windows 10.1809; Linux Mint 19.1; Terabyte Backup & Recovery
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by
         Arvy.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #323584 Reply

anonymous

Meanwhile, @fbob6969 is left struggling in a fractured computing environment. A status that may be of minor impact for many users, but reason enough for OP to experience confusion over why two machines in his possession behave differently. That fracture was created by Microsoft.

You have received good information, from two viewpoints. One would help you remain at the earlier version (if it had been set ahead of time). The other hopes you advance to the later version in time, with patience.

By all means, look into the settings mentioned so that you learn more about how Microsoft is handling your licensed installations of their product. But the fact remains Microsoft is not concerned whether your experience is unified across your local machines. It requires your intervention to maintain that level of consistency. And that will be an ongoing maintenance issue.

Some will try to reassure you it only happens twice a year. Experience suggests to me this is not predictable. Dates slip by weeks or months, and soon you are considering the next version. Recreating the issue yet again. So twice a year becomes two long periods of struggle, broken by two brief periods of calm productivity. You have my sympathy.

The good news is that by learning these skills you become a better user, it is worth the effort. But I do not have a solution to create more time in your schedule to accept this new workload, created by Microsoft, and included with the product. At least it was free, as in beer, gratis.

• #323628 Reply

Arvy
        AskWoody Lounger

If considered to be a critical issue, avoiding any major computing environment “fractures” shouldn’t be too difficult with W10, or not more so than with previous Windows versions which can become “fractured” quite easily by individual user decisions about what updates to install. Complaints about W10 are mostly about its depriving users of that “flexibility” and forcing them to update whether they want to or not.

With W10, accepting Microsoft’s defaults settings for updating all machines, or at least keeping them all the same and hitting the Check For Updates “seeker” button from time to time should keep everything “in sync” for you in most cases. It may possibly still refuse to install a particular update, however, if the WaaS assessment process detects some overriding prohibitive issue. I should think such exceptions would generally be regarded as a good inhibition in the user’s best interest.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Code board; Intel i9-9900K CPU; 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM; Nvidia GTX1080 GPU; 2x512 GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe; 2x2 TB Samsung 860 Pro SSDs; Windows 10.1809; Linux Mint 19.1; Terabyte Backup & Recovery
    • #323611 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I have three ‘always-on’ machines, a DIY desktop with three HDD’s, a DIY NAS box with Windows 10 on an SSD and a four-HDD RAID 10 array, and my laptop that I also use for work.  On weekends, the laptop is docked and signed off, but I log in about once a day to keep up with work-related email.  I always upgrade my daily driver (my desktop) first, because that is where I’ll get the most immediate feedback of whether or not there are major issues.

If per chance there are (such as the initial release of 1809), I can restore a drive image of the previous version.  Task Scheduler makes weekly drive images for me in the wee hours of the morning.  I did that with the initial release of 1809 and restored 1803 (I didn’t have the issues that were commonly reported in places like this, but when Microsoft pulled it, so did I).  After the re-release of 1809, I used the Media Creation Tool and upgraded again.

It all ran very well.  My NAS waited for the pushed upgrade, but I used my USB from the Media Creation Tool to upgrade my laptop on the weekend, when I would have plenty of time to sort it out, or restore a drive image if that became necessary; it wasn’t.

So my desktop and my laptop were both on 1809, and my NAS remained on 1803 for about a month, then it finally got the push.  It’s also running fine.  There are nightly housekeeping chores for my desktop and laptop that use partitions on the NAS as a target.  It all worked normally.  Windows networking can handle multiple versions of Windows without difficulty in my experience.  I have a much older docked laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate, and when it’s running, my networked machines can see and access it, and it can see and access my networked machines.

When I open File Explorer, the Network folder gets populated within 5 seconds.  When I’m logged off and gone to bed, Task Scheduler takes care of my housekeeping chores through the network without difficulty.

Having different versions of Windows running on different machines, in my experience, is not an issue at all.  Everything just works.  There is very little difference in user experience between 1803 and 1809.  Some have said that 1803 is not as stable, but I had no stability issues with it.  1809 seems to be a bit more nimble, but without running benchmarks, it’s hard to say with any degree of certainty.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by
         bbearren.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #323646 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Both machines are updated to 8th January 2019, per Windows 10 – Release information
      🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Differing versions in Windows 10 computers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Comments are closed.