Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • DigitalShadows weighs in on the most likely explanation: WannaCry is from an “unsophisticated” attacker

Home Forums AskWoody blog DigitalShadows weighs in on the most likely explanation: WannaCry is from an “unsophisticated” attacker

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  NetDef 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I don’t use their fancy analysis technique, but the conclusion from Digital Shadows sure rings right with me: Though by no means definitive, we assess
      [See the full post at: DigitalShadows weighs in on the most likely explanation: WannaCry is from an “unsophisticated” attacker]

• #116505 Reply

paulo
      AskWoody Lounger

WannaCry is full of cringeworthy errors — it’s like a misguided firecracker launched by an F-22 Raptor”

The worrying factor here is that if the damaged caused by this incident was originated by a misguided firecracker what can an ace pilot do with another of the several F-22 Raptors still out there with their keys on…

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #116530 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Amen! That’s why every single article I write about WannaCry includes the admonition that folks need to get patched NOW.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  woody.
      • #116658 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody Lounger

Apparently, an ace pilot can let the weapon be stolen and inflicted upon the world at large.

• #116582 Reply

lurks about
      AskWoody Lounger

I forget where I saw a comment by someone say they thought WannaCry was a ‘private enterprise’ operation. The MO seems to be more inline with a hacker looking for a quick buck than a nation looking for information.

• #118876 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody Lounger

Saw this today, an interesting theory that the entire WannaCry episode was bitcoin manipulation.  Argument made is fairly compelling.
      From: http://www.securityweek.com/latest-wannacry-theory-currency-manipulation

The simple reality is that these figures would support Carson’s theory: the primary purpose of WannaCry was a deceptive means of currency manipulation. This was currency manipulation on a massive scale.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: DigitalShadows weighs in on the most likely explanation: WannaCry is from an “unsophisticated” attacker

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.