News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Dinosaur's topic: Soft that burns data DVDs on many writers simultaneously?

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Dinosaur's topic: Soft that burns data DVDs on many writers simultaneously?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  witp 1 year ago.

• Author

witp
      AskWoody Lounger

Do you know / use any?

Someone still uses optical discs, and I have to help that poor girl that sometimes spends two days swapping DVDs in and out ‘laptop-style’ writer, to produce material compilation for one officials or another.

I’ve found two: BurnAware Pro and Nero Burning ROM.

It has to run on Windows and allow commercial use.

Thanks in advance!

• #238752 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Um.

Do you mean software that can drive multiple physical writer devices simultaneously, or something that can make multiple projects concurrently and queue them on a single writer device?

Because, those two things may require substantially different tools, it’s a question of workflow… I’d expect that for material compilations one would first assemble everything on random-write media (a folder on the hard disk, say) and then burn the whole collection to sequential-write media (DVD)? Sure, that usually requires an image generation step immediately before writing to DVD, but that shouldn’t be a very long one on anything even sort of resembling modern hardware…

At least crdtfe ( https://cdrtfe.sourceforge.io/cdrtfe/index_en.html ) should be able to drive multiple writers simultaneously, and traditional command-line tools (which cdrtfe is a frontend for) should have no problems running multiple concurrent copies of the program as long as they’re writing into different devices or files.

As for commercial use – it’s open source with no restrictions in that regard. Distribution of working copies of those tools by themselves may potentially involve a weird legal problem regarding the definitions of “collective work” and “derivative work” between different open-source licenses that apparently no one bothers to take to a court, but everyone agrees that as source code it’s freely distributable…

• #238912 Reply

witp
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for swift reply!

I should be more specific. I meant burning DVDs to some writers simultaneously.

Will try cdrtfe, and, as you correctly guessed, I needed some open source alternative. I think that girl’ boss will finally shell out for Nero. I don’t plan to distribute these tools, just give her free tool that could speed up her work.

Thank you once again!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Dinosaur's topic: Soft that burns data DVDs on many writers simultaneously?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.