News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Disable Num Lock key

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Disable Num Lock key

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSraysig
        AskWoody Plus

I use a 10 key pad on my laptop that is used for my business activity. I am constantly hitting the Num Lock key when I try to use the backspace or Delete keys that are within an inch or so to the Num Lock.  I don’t recall when, in the last two decades or so, I have purposely used the Num Lock key. Does anyone know how to disable it semi permanently?

Thanks for any input.

anonymous

You can edit the registry, this post should work fine. The solution presented in the topic “I want to master the numlock key!” is also confirmed on this page.

There is a PowerShell script that will disable the numlock key, but how to reverse the effect is not added to the script.

Please read the whole topic it is useful information.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Alternatively you could remap the Num Lock key to behave like the backspace key.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Hey Y’all,

I’ve updated the my Set-KeyboardKeyRemapping.ps1 program to add a -ClearAssignments option to clear all key reassignments if desired. You can download the updated script here.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

2 users thanked author for this post.
          WSraysig
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks to all. I have been distracted with my work so I haven’t been able to try these suggestions. But I will soon.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Disable Num Lock key

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.