News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Disabling Telemetry For Win 8.1

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Disabling Telemetry For Win 8.1

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Microfix 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Purg2
      AskWoody Lounger

Thought I’d give it a go & got hung up on a thing or two.  Here goes the bonehead illustration.

Following the instructions by abbodi86.

2000012: Neutralize Telemetry & Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model

1. Ran w10tel.cmd.bat.  No issue.
      2. Diagnostics tracking service was not listed on services list.  After rebooting & rechecking, this is still not listed.  See Image 01 – Diagnostics Tracking Service not listed (image link – https://imgur.com/a/8MGz6eQ).
      3. WMI AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener
      ~~a. Event Trace Sessions, right-click on “AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener,” stopped & deleted.
      ~~b. Startup Event Trace Sessions, disable AITEventLog.  Misread disable & accidentally deleted.  Am I hosed?
      ~~c. Disable SQMLogger.  Thankfully it wouldn’t delete & is now disabled.
      4. Disable Compatibility Appraiser tasks (Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows)
      ~~a. Application Experience/disable all tasks. No MS compatability appaiser listed.  Just StartupApp Task which was deleted & the directory is now empty.   This is where I’m stumped.  After rebooting & rechecking, this is still not listed.  Image 02 – Application Experience tasks list (image link – https://imgur.com/a/8MGz6eQ).
      ~~b. Do the same with CEIP tasks.  In all the back & forth with composing this message I can’t remember if I actually did this or not.  At any rate, the directory is empty.

Maybe I’m actually alright & not as gooped up as I’m thinking I am.  Any help would be most appreciated.

=============================================================

Second dilemma regarding GoneToPlaid post image #1948293:

Active Tasks:
      ProgramDataUpdater
      Microsoft Compatability Appraiser

In trying to check these I couldn’t find the list on my machine.  How do I do this?

Win 8.1 Group B, Linux Dabbler

• #1972759 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Win R
      taskschd.msc
      Enter

Click the small triangle on the left to expand the tree.
      Navigate to (expand the tree): Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
      In the middle pane you will see the tasks.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1973334 Reply

Purg2
      AskWoody Lounger

Great Paul, thanks.  It occurred to me that the emptiness of the Application Exerience is what threw me.  Guess that’s a good thing to a degree.

Diagnostics tracking service was not listed on services list.  Maybe that’s a good thing too.  The uncertainty has me wondering & I’m hoping it’s OK.

Still not sure about the missing AITEventLog.  Is that an issue or can I forget about it?

Also, the missing compatability apprasier.  How about that?

• #1974580 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

I disabled and removed the Diagtrack Service completely to make it more difficult for MS to re-activate telemetry on SMQR patching. Have had no side effects on this since early 2018 on Win 8.1 Pro x64 on three devices. I always check for the settings post patch install to find that settings remain the same prior to patching on SMQR. SFC reports no violations, however,  if you need to do a DISM Restore health, it’ll throw it back in on the default setting.

AITEventlog: have this disabled and if it’s missing I’m sure it’s disabled.

Compatibility Appraiser: have this disabled also, if it’s missing I’m sure it’s disabled.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1974584 Reply

Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

At MicroFix post #1974580 – whew, thanks fella, that’s what I was hoping would be the case.  Not knowing for sure was troubling, so thanks for clearing that up for me.  Now I can limp along a while longer. 

• #1974618 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

You may also be interested in another recent post for Win8.1 regarding using your firewall to stop more undesirable snooping or reporting back to HQ over here

I plan to keep win8.1 until 2023 and do my utmost to keep it in good shape. I must be doing something right..so far anyway! and being under 5% of the current marketshare is an insignificant MS gem. Credit where credit is due, happily getting here warrants thanks to Noel Carboni, ch100, abbodi86, MrBrian and PKCano from post discussions a few of years back.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Disabling Telemetry For Win 8.1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.