News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Disastrous May 19 update – KB4499406 failed – system restore failed – Win broken

Posted on Alan_uk Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Disastrous May 19 update – KB4499406 failed – system restore failed – Win broken

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alan_uk 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 7 SP1 Professional 64bit on Asus A88XM-PLUSย  m/b with AMD A8-7600 / 16GB memory

I’ve had a disastrous May 19 update. I applied:
      2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework for Windows 7×64 (KB4499406)
      2019-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4499164)

KB4499164 was OK but KB4499406 failed

Later I found some programs would not run, in particular VirtualBox would load to the VB desktop but not run any virtual machines.

I ran System Restore (SR) and was offered only 1 restore point prior to the update (seems subsequent Defender updates create a restore point and thus loosing older ones).

After the SR Windows 7 refused to start and gave a blue screen with dumping messages.

My O&O DiskImage bootable recovery disk failed to restore my C: partition to previous increments but seems successful in restoring to the base copy in Jan 19 (it failed at very end but everything seems OK and sfc /scannow said OK).

I have now rolled forward all my application changes but yet to apply any Windows Updates. Therefore the last was Dec 18.

So far this has taken 3 or 4 days ๐Ÿ™

Windows Update is only offering the 2019-05 changes which caused the problems.

I’ve decided to apply:
      2019-02 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework (KB4487078)
      2019-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 (KB4489878)
      2019-03 Security Update for Windows 7 (KB4474419)

I downloaded (KB4487078) from the MS Catalog. It’s 5 files: kb4483458, kb4019990, kb4483451, kb4483455 and msipatchregfix-amd64….

The msipatchregfix fails to run: “No product codes were specified on the command line”. I cannot find any solution to this on the internet or advice as to whether this is necessary.

Help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks

Alan, UK

• This topic was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Alan_uk.
    • #1735868 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

The .NET Rollup is a bundle. Each of the files you downloaded is for a different version of .NET. If you do not have the version that the patch is intended for installed on your computer, it will not install. That is why it is better to install .NET through WU. So you do not have the version installed for the one that failed.

You need the latest Servicing Stack KB4490628 installed. Check your “Installed Updates” and if you do not have it, the fastest way is to download it from the Catalog. It has to be installed exclusively (BY ITSELF). So after you install it, reboot and wait 15 minutes after login before you try anything else.

Highly recommend you do a full disk image of the working system before you go any further.

• #1736051 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

Many thanks for a quick reply. Yes I have installed Servicing Stack KB4490628 (sorry, I didn’t mention that).

“That is why it is better to install .NET through WU.”

But WU only offers 2019-05 and that is the one that caused all the problems.ย That’s why I downloaded the 2019-02 .NET KB4487078 as I know that went well. But then I got stuck over running msipatchregfix.

• #1736117 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

WU offers the ROLLUP, it does not list the individual patches. But WU KNOWS what versions of .NET you have installed and only applies the correct ones. If you download all of them, you don’t know which ones to install and not to install. So you get errors installing the wrong ones manually.

(WU is generally smarter than the average User ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL)

• #1736487 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

perhaps this is one good reason why I do NOT install .NET rollups right away and will wait a few weeks until woody & susan give the green light in installing them thru WU

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1736492 Reply

plodr
      AskWoody Plus

I also choose to not install bundles.

I selected the security only for the NET versions.

Since Windows 7 comes with NET 3.5 and I have kept that patched, I installed 4495612 for NET 3.5.1 on four Windows 7 computers.

One of my Win 7 computers had NET 4 installed. That has been patched up to 4.5.2 so I installed 4495593 on only one computer.

I did this on May 15th and have had no problems with the 4 computers. (I always image before I apply any patches and I did not skip this step in May). If one or several of the patches would fail or create a problem, I’d restore the image.

Got coffee?

• #1736494 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

I have up to now only applied updates via WU (after consulting this site) and that in recent times means rollups.

(WU is generally smarter than the average User ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL)

But sometimes even WU get’s it wrong!

I know my system was OK with the roll ups from Feb & March 19 so I want to apply those rollups again (e.g. KB4487078) but WU is only offering me 2019-May rollups and I have no confidence that applying these again will not screw my system.

I could wait until June but would rather apply Feb & Mar updates rather than leave my system at Dec 18.

Is is possible to get a 2019-Mar rollup as a single file? (yes I know I have to select Win 7 and 64 bit to match my system).ย  When I search for those (e.g. KB4487078) MS Catalog gives me a buddle of fixes one of which is msipatchregfix which doesn’t run (see post above).

Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ™‚

PS. It’s situations like this that make me dread Windows 10. e.g. a rollup goes wrong, I system restore and then Windows 10 immediately applies the rollup again and we loop ad infinitum!!

• #1736497 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If you hide the May Rollup, then search for updates, the April Rollup will appear in WU.

If you then hide the April Rollup, then search for updates, the March Rollup will appear in WU.

If you continue hiding Rollups, the next earlier month’s will appear until it reaches the point where the next earlier month’s Rollup is already installed.

(Highlight the Rollup in WU, right click on it, choose HIDE.)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  PKCano.
    • #1736682 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

If you hide the May Rollup, then search for updates, the April Rollup will appear in WU. ………etc

Excellent. I knew one could hide an update but not that it would then give me earlier ones. I shall do that. Many thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

PS Yes I have an image backup but I need to find another backup solution as I have lost confidence in O&O DiskImage. Looking again at Paragon.

• #1736686 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

perhaps this is one good reason why I do NOT install .NET rollups right away and will wait a few weeks until woody & susan give the green light in installing them thru WU

I’ve normally done that but in the case of May’s update woody said one should take the risk due to a new security threat in Windows. On my wife’s similar PC it went fine.

• #1810395 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

Well, after having to restore my PC to Jan 19 backup and rolling forward I decided (after a stable few weeks) to try the May 19 updates again. First though my WU offered KB4054530 to update Net FW to 4.7.2. That went OK (restart neede)

I then applied 2019-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4499164) and again after restart that was OK

2nd I applied 2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, ….. 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 7 x64 (KB4499406) and again after restart that was OK.

So, now uptodate and back in business ๐Ÿ™‚

PS I’m also trialling Macrium Reflect as a new image backup s/w. Had 1 hickup but got good support from Macrium despite being on the trial. So looking good.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Disastrous May 19 update – KB4499406 failed – system restore failed – Win broken

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.