News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Disk Clean-up no-longer cleans up!!

Posted on petesmst Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Disk Clean-up no-longer cleans up!!

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        petesmst
        AskWoody Plus

I am using 64-bit Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.936).

I used to use Disk Clean-up  (with “Clean up System files”) to tidy up about  a week after ensuring I had a stable system after installing monthly updates.  Re-running the utility would reveal zero files to be “cleaned up”.  This is no-longer the case.

I have recently noticed that this utility no-longer cleans up what appears to be the Windows Update files.  After running the utility, there is always around 6GB Windows Clean-up files remaining.

I recall reading (I cannot recall where), that Disk Clean-up was being phased out to be replaced by “Storage Sense” and that that Windows now reserves a small partition on the System Disk for updates.  Is this perhaps where the  Windows Update files are stored and perhaps therefore unreachable by disk Clean-up?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

• #2262619 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Can you identify the leftover files?

I do notice that the disk cleanup tool finds upgrade files to remove several days after I’ve run it deleting system files. I guess there is an age component.

I just used the Settings Storage cleanup with the latest Insider build. My free space seems to be about what it has always been after an upgrade.

--Joe

• #2262658 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I recall reading (I cannot recall where), that Disk Clean-up was being phased out to be replaced by “Storage Sense” and that that Windows now reserves a small partition on the System Disk for updates.

Windows 10 now reserve ~9GB of space for updates (on clean install).
        Run ‘Storage Sense’ to check .
        Windows will delete the update files automatically, after 10 days.

storage1

storage2

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2262820 Reply
        petesmst
        AskWoody Plus

@joep517  The files are identified as “windows update” (about 6GB),  This has been the approximate size of this category shown in my disk clean-up for the last several months.

I think the explanation is that the space that Windows now reserves exclusively for updates (see #2262658 above) can be read by disk clean-up, but not accessed.  I believe this is now managed only by Storage Sense.  (If you check your OS disk you will see an added partition for this purpose).

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

• #2262821 Reply
        petesmst
        AskWoody Plus

@joep517 and @Alex5723 : An interesting follow-up to this issue: I see in this article:

https://thewincentral.com/microsoft-a-new-tool-to-reclaim-windows-10-reserved-storage-coming-soon/

“Microsoft may soon introduce a new DISM tool to allow users to reclaim the “reserved storage” on Windows 10. Reserved storage was designed to help Windows 10 feature updates get successfully downloaded and installed without the user having to free up disk space.”

EDIT:

Currently, the DISM tool to reclaim reserved storage is only available in Windows 10 Version 2004 but Microsoft plans to bring it to earlier  Windows 10 versions too, though a time-frame hasn’t been shared yet.  See here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/managing-reserved-storage-in-windows-10-environments/bc-p/1303979/highlight/true#M1579

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by petesmst. Reason: Inserted text below "Edit"
      • #2262881 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Of my five installations of Windows 10, I didn’t have a clean install on any.  I’ve been misremembering about my NAS, thinking I did a clean install on that since it was a purpose built bare metal DIY, but going back through my old post history, in September 2015 I migrated a Retail Windows 7 Pro SP1 to it, then upgraded to Windows 10 Insider Preview 10532.  I then dropped out of Windows Insider and got the RTM Windows 10, which has been regularly, fully updated since.

Having said all that, Disk Cleanup still works for me just as it always has.  Task Scheduler runs an extended Disk Cleanup every Sunday morning at 1:00AM (my drive images start at 2:00AM).  Which means that this past Tuesday’s Windows Update detritus would still be present.

I just ran Disk Cleanup, and sure enough, I had 6.5GB of Windows Update files to cleanup, which it did.  When I ran it a second time to see if it skipped them, they weren’t listed, meaning they were gone.  This was also reflected in the OS partition free space.

Perhaps Microsoft has removed/crippled it in clean installs, but it hasn’t removed it from my upgraded Windows 10.  I also checked on Storage Sense, and it is present, but not enabled.  I’ll just leave it disabled.  I don’t have the ~9GB reserved partition, either.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by bbearren. Reason: spelling
      • #2262980 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have recently noticed that this utility no-longer cleans up what appears to be the Windows Update files.  After running the utility, there is always around 6GB Windows Clean-up files remaining.

Did you run Disk Cleanup as Administrator ?

• #2263030 Reply
        petesmst
        AskWoody Plus

@Alex5723.  Yes, I have tried as Administrator and not as Administrator.  Same result.

• #2263083 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

@petesmst,

See Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date for a more complete description of reserved storage. It is not just for updates. My reading of the article is the Windows just leaves the reserved storage alone until it needs it. So, I don’t know that Storage Spaces actually does anything to it. You can manually delete the files if you use File Explorer.

BTW, you specify which partition to clean when you run Disk Cleanup if there is more than one partition with a drive letter. Otherwise, it will only clean up your main C: partition. The partition that has been added is a recovery partition and is not reserved storage.

--Joe

• #2263084 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Oops, just read the article more closely and it says Storage Space does remove files automatically.

--Joe

• #2274180 Reply
          rc primak
          AskWoody_MVP

Or, you can leave Storage Sense off, but run it in manual mode. This way you get to choose what to delete and when.

-- rc primak

• #2274186 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Even if you have Storage Sense turned OFF, if your disk space gets low, Windows may turn it on automatically without asking.
          It happened to me with a 64GB Win10 VM after an update install dumped hundreds of .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp and ran the disk usage from 24-25GB up to over 60GB.

• #2263466 Reply
        petesmst
        AskWoody Plus

@Alex5723 and @joep517:

I believe I have solved the problem:  I have Storage Sense turned on.  After turning it off and rebooting my system, I was able to run disk-clean-up.  So it seems Storage Sense disables Disk-clean-up.  (When I think about it, this makes sense!)

(I have not been able to verify this by trying again, since my system disk is now clean!)

• #2274181 Reply
          rc primak
          AskWoody_MVP

Storage Sense disables Disk-clean-up

Only when you let Storage Sense run automatically. Leaving it off and running it on-demand manually does not disable Disk Cleanup.

-- rc primak

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2274213 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

Storage Sense disables Disk-clean-up

Only when you let Storage Sense run automatically. Leaving it off and running it on-demand manually does not disable Disk Cleanup.

Setting Storage Sense on to run automatically does not disable Disk Cleanup.

I’ve had Storage Sense on automatic for years and I frequently run Disk Cleanup manually.

• #2274204 Reply
        anonymous

Running W10-1909 Home with storage sense set to automatic.  Just ran disk cleanup by right clicking c: properties in file manager and selecting “cleanup system files”  It said there was 6GB of system files to clean up but after running used disk space decreased by about 2GB.  I think there is definitely a file age factor at play here.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Disk Clean-up no-longer cleans up!!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.