News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Disk corruption error 55

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Disk corruption error 55

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        cellsee6
        AskWoody Plus

I have 2 each Startec S352BU33RER raid 1 enclosures attached to a computer running Windows 10 Pro. The enclosures had 2 disks in them in RAID 1 configuration. The enclosures were runnng well until yesterday. Then all of a sudden massive numbers of error 55 messages were written to the Event viewer. When I looked at the disk management screen in the Control Panel the screen said disk D instead of RAID_100. See attachment.

I tried swapping cables and power cables from the working box to the non working box. No change. I doubt there was any power problem, both enclosures are connected to a UPS with battery backup.

I contacted Startec , they feel the enclosures are not the problem. They asked me to insert the drives one at a time and see if data could access files. NO cannot access any files. They warned me not to put the disks from the RAID box into any other box or computer as it would destroy any chances of rebuilding the data . I cannot afford to lose the data on the 2 drives which make up the RAID 1 configuration.

So I removed both drives from the RAID box. I inserted an old SATA III drive I had laying around. The drive formatted without problems.

My question: What do I do now? How do I fix this Error 55 problem? I am scared to run chkdsk /f and have all my data be destroyed. If the drives do have a massive data corruption problem, what procedures would you use now to fix the drive structure?

Moderator edit: Please paste HTML in the text mode.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ascaris. Reason: HTML tags removed
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Startec should have software to manage the disks in the array.
        Put one disk in the unit. What does the software tell you about the array?

Windows should see the disk in Disk Manager (Win > disk man > Enter)
        What does it show?

cheers, Paul

cellsee6
          AskWoody Plus

Startech says they don’t have any tools to fix the data.
          What tool or application would you use to fix the data on the drives?

>Windows should see the disk in Disk Manager (Win > disk man > Enter)<<

The Startec unit is supposed to display as RAID_100.  It now displays as drive D.  I feel something massive has happened to the Startec units but Startec insists the  problem is not in their box.

I found an old SATA III drive.  I removed all drives from the Startec unit and inserted this old drive.  I formatted the drive while it  was inside the Startec unit .  Everything worked well.

So may be the Startec unit is working .

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Disk names in Windows are controlled by Windows so it may just be Windows response to the errors.

I would connect one of the RAID disks directly to your motherboard to see what Windows makes of it. As a RAID 1 disk it should be readable by Windows.
        Try MiniTool Partition Wizard (free) to view the disk. It is usually more informative than Windows.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Disk corruption error 55

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.