• Disney just surpassed Netflix in ‘total’ number of subscribers

Home » Forums » Outside the box » Outside the box – miscellanous » Disney just surpassed Netflix in ‘total’ number of subscribers

Author
    Topic

It took Disney+ just 3 years to surpass Netflix (Founded on August, 1997)

https://invezz.com/news/2022/08/10/disney-surpassed-netflix-in-subscribers/

..Disney ended Q3 with 221 million total subscribers across its streaming services – more than 220.7 million Netflix had as of last month..

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’m just one of those data points. I cancelled Netflix a couple of years ago. I am now a Disney+ subscriber. Plus have a couple other streaming services including HBO Max and Amazon Prime.

And I was an original Netflix subscriber from back at the start when they were all about DVD by mail plans. 🙂

“Disney” is Disney+ and it’s “Bundle:  Hulu and ESPN.

So how many in the number of users given in Alex’s quotation are only subscribed to Disney and not to the Bundle?

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Hard to tell, but “Disney+” is “Disney”! The bundle with Hulu and ESPN are extra. Those properties are owned by Disney, but are add-ons not included in the base Disney+ package.

Without the add-on bundle, the Disney+ base package includes the Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic catalogs. That’s the plus+. Not too shabby for $7.99 a month. 🙂

https://www.howtogeek.com/820651/how-much-does-disney-plus-cost/

Disney was destined to get a lot of subscriptions in a hurry, not Netflix, because until recently one could get the Disney classic movies, Pixar’s (now part of Disney),  etc. from Netflix, but no longer, as Disney has its own streaming service and the copyright of all those movies. So: “Netflix subscriber, say bye, bye to Disney movies!” Oh, you wanted to watch a Disney movie? Then subscribe to the Disney channel (now Disney Plus, as an indication more companies get gobbled up by Big D — the relentless increasing concentration of capital mentioned some time ago by someone called something or other Marx). Or else, no such luck!

Finally, Netflix has 220,000,000 subscribers worldwide  — all by itself — while Disney + etc. + etc. +etc. has some 300,000 more?

Many have gone from paying whatever they used to paid to Netflix, to paying less to each of several streaming companies that, together, add up in price to the same or more than Netflix, if interested in watching all that one could previously watch on Netflix. Except for stuff in ESPN that, well, is on TV (and I don’t watch, anyways.)

The one good thing about Disney having its own channel, is that Disney movies are not going to disappear from the menu when the deal allowing it to stream them ends for whatever reason. That is one of the most galling and infuriating things that much too often happens at Netflix: they have terrific and hugely popular shows available for years and years, such as “Midsomer Murders”, “Firefly”, “Poirot”, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”, etc., etc., etc. that many (YT included) loved to watch again from time to time. But on certain days that will live in infamy, one by one, suddenly they are gone.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
          Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
          macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

On further news:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/disney-raises-price-on-ad-free-disney-38percent-as-part-of-new-pricing-structure.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/11/disney-plus-increase-price-subscribers/

Excerpt:

To capitalize on the growth, Disney Plus will raise its monthly subscription fee by $3 to $10.99 for U.S. users this December. It is also creating an ad-supported tier that costs $7.99.

Disney + etc. + etc. +etc. has some 300,000 more?

Disney did it in 3 years which is quite a feat.

Alex: “Disney did it in 3 years which is quite a feat.

Did it? Did what?

Disney already had everything necessary. It had little to build on top of that. Never from scratch. If people want to stream a Disney movie, from “Bambi” to Frozen II, the only place to go and do it is Disney plus. Same if they want to stream a Pixar movie, any Pixar movie. What took three years was for enough people to wise up to and, or accept this plain fact.

It had the audience ready made, it never had to build it from next to nothing.

It has been streaming all Disney content from way, way back up to now, streaming what it already had and whatever it makes from now on. Which it will make whether streaming or not, because it is basically a movie-making company.

There is simply no comparison. But people will compare anyways, because … why not?

Does any of this imply that Netflix is great and Disney plus is bad?

NO, it implies, up front, that the world has become more complicated to navigate than it used to be with mostly Netflix around and Hulu. (And this has not happened just with streaming.)

Excerpt: “To capitalize on the growth, Disney Plus will raise its monthly subscription fee by $3 to $10.99 for U.S. users this December. It is also creating an ad-supported tier that costs $7.99.“

When they do that, it will probably be time for me to say goodbye to the Hulu and ESPN+ bundle.

Hulu sometimes has some good movies and shows, but I don’t really watch it often enough. And I never watch ESPN+.

I will keep Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime streaming. That’s more than enough content for one lifetime!

Tip: If you are an Amazon Prime member, and sign up for their branded Visa card with 5% cash back, that can essentially pay for your annual Prime membership!

Many have gone from paying whatever they used to paid to Netflix, to paying less to each of several streaming companies that, together, add up in price to the same or more than Netflix, if interested in watching all that one could previously watch on Netflix.

Netflix was definitely the innovator in the streaming space, but it was inevitable for the market to get competitive. Netflix originally was in the business of licensing content and then streaming it. But that era is in the past.

So the the trend has been for the content creators to claw back their original content at the end of the licensing deals, and then come up with their own streaming channels. In addition to Disney, just look at HBO, Paramount, & Peacock.

I’m certain that Netflix saw this coming years ago, which was why they began producing more of their own original shows and movies with a huge production budget.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Disney just surpassed Netflix in ‘total’ number of subscribers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: