News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Do I Need Windows Defender in Windows 7?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Do I Need Windows Defender in Windows 7?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cybertooth 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

I have an old machine running Windows 7 that uses Abelha Digital’s HostsMan (http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman/) to block virtually ALL web advertising — the major source of all malware infections, after email attachments.

I’ve been using it for at least a decade, ever since Fred Langa recommended it in an issue of Windows Secrets, and it’s been just WONDERFUL.

Meanwhile, I see that this machine is running Windows Defender as a service, and it is constantly using about 48% of the CPU.

Since Windows Defender for Windows 7 is considered inadequate anyway, I’m inclined to turn it off.  Any comments?

Thanks to all,
      — AWRon

• #2007839 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

This thread has some useful advice on migrating off Defender.

How to switch AV from MSE to Bitdefender at EOL

cheers, Paul

• #2008042 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

Windows Defender (the original “anti-malware” version, not the newer “anti-virus” version) had some utility in Vista, where it would alert you if a program was trying to modify the registry. But this feature was removed in Windows 7, and WD became little more than a second-rate scanner. (The program has since been renamed and current versions score highly  in AV detection tests.)

You can uninstall Windows Defender from your Windows 7 computer with minimal impact on its security. And if it’s sucking up 48% of your CPU cycles, then your PC will actually be better off without WD.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Do I Need Windows Defender in Windows 7?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.