• Do you know what to do for identity theft?

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » Do you know what to do for identity theft?

Author
    Topic

I hope you are following Brian Livingston’s series on Password managers. There’s more to come in fact. As a password manager program is one of the bes
    [See the full post at: Do you know what to do for identity theft?]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I don’t and never used password managers nor save passwords in browsers.
      I remember the main passwords to sites and keep a small txt file encrypted with 7zip with rarely used passwords.
      I am logging to my bank, Apple services.. using FaceID.

What steps have you taken to keep your identity safe?

Bitlocker and passkeys.

I have over 200 passwords and do not share the details of how they are stored/managed for security reasons.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Oh yes, I forgot.

I use a random password generator to create each password.  The password generation involves:

1. Opening Word;
        2. Shutting my eyes and typing eight or more upper or lowercase letters, numbers, and/or symbols; and
        3. Opening my eyes and cleaning up the new password.

I than pair the new password with one of my possible 200+ email “aliases”.

using FaceID

using FaceID

BRAVO Cathy!  You DO understand !

* _ being 20 in the 70's was fun _ *

Pointless. Hackers break into accounts using Windows or Linux exploits to steal passwords from the websites owners and multi-factor authentication  are stolen from websites or using sim cloning cell phones/smart watches. Password managers will not keep you safe.

No. I am not following Brian’s series.

No, I do not use password managers.

I keep my identify safe by never providing my real identity to any websites.  I use fake names, fake emails, fake phone numbers, fake address, fake etc etc. This way they can not do anything with my info when they steal it from the websites.

Do you know what to do for identity theft?
      For victims of USA identity theft, consider:
      Recovering from Identity Theft  = USA based information:
      Is someone using your personal information to open accounts, file taxes, or make purchases? Visit IdentityTheft.gov, the federal government’s one-stop resource to help you report and recover from identity theft.”

Report identity theft and get a recovery plan
      IdentityTheft.gov can help you report and recover from identity theft.

Also consider:
      Identity Theft Resource Center
      Your Life, Your Identity. Let’s Keep it That Way
      The ITRC is a non-profit organization established to minimize risk and mitigate the impact of identity compromise.”

Non-tech home user thankful for excellent College of AskWoody education.
      2 users thanked author for this post.

BRAVO Cathy!

Sorry for the typo Kathy 🫣

* _ being 20 in the 70's was fun _ *

Password management  is important, but password managers; meh.  I use strong passwords, I don’t re-use passwords, Firefox handles passwords safely enough to suit me.  Yes, the profile is unencrypted on my hard drive, but no one has access to my hard drive other than me.

I don’t fear phishing because I don’t click on links in email.  I don’t click on ads because I never see any, I have all that blocked.  My passwords are in a password protected spreadsheet, and again, no one has access to my hard drive other than me.

Always create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates; you may need to start over!
      We were all once "Average Users". We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do with our systems, we don't need anyone's approval, and we don't all have to do the same things.

I used to use Bitdefender’s built-in Password wallet (stored locally and encrypted), but they discontinued it in favour or a separate Password Manager that required an extra subscription fee, AND it was sync’d to the cloud. As this was a downgrade in functionality from what I paid for via my included security suite, I switched to an offline alternative.

Now, I use a separate local password manager that does not sync to the cloud (as once one of those is hacked, like Lastpass, you’re screwed), and I use very complex passwords generated randomly (I use Gibson Research’s password generator page https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm).

No matter where you go, there you are.

I do use a password manager plus TOTP where possible, or some other 2FA. I avoid using text messaging as 2FA because of it’s insecurity.

My password file is encrypted with a long, complex key I’ve committed to memory. It’s not stored or written down anywhere. This file is then stored further encrypted on Dropbox (for cross-device accessibility). I regularly check my passwords against the “Have I Been Pwnd” database – which I download and then run a script that does the check locally.  I also keep up with new data breaches on the HIBP site as well as other sites like https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tag/data-breach/

I often use disposable forwarding emails when signing up at websites. In addition, I have an identity theft service that sends me a report on a regular basis. Plus I have full freezes (not just blocks) on the four main credit reporting agencies.

Nothing is “for sure” but I do think I’m reasonably well protected. Takes some effort but I’m fine with it.

I’ve recently been testing KeePassXC in place of plain KeePass and so far have liked it.

Win10 Pro x64 22H2, Win10 Home 22H2, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

I have full freezes (not just blocks) on the four main credit reporting agencies.

Same here since the Equifax breach in 2017.  I check the freeze status on each one once a year.

And its notable that identity theft opportunities created by data breaches such as the Equifax breach mentioned here cannot be prevented by providing fake email addresses, fake telephone numbers, fake addresses, etc. to sundry websites.  The credit reporting industry already has failed to protect real data for massive numbers of potential victims.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Reply To: Do you know what to do for identity theft?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: