News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Document compare says links & pictures are changed when they're not

Posted on WSjsachs177 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Questions: Microsoft Office Document compare says links & pictures are changed when they're not

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSjsachs177
        AskWoody Lounger

The message title says it all. Running compares between two versions of a document is a common task in my job. Sometimes Compare marks every hyperlink field or every picture or both as changed, when they are not.

This is a tremendous time sink. If a link’s URL contains a long string of gibberish, confirming that two versions of it are the same requires opening both, copying the URLs to separate files, and comparing the files. I haven’t found a practical way to compare two pictures. (Identical pictures saved to files may still compare different, depending on the format and tools involved, and ensuring a meaningful comparison is a challenge of its own.)

Have you experienced this problem? Do you know a workaround?

• #2041633 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

Which version of Office is this for, and which program? i.e Word 2016?

• #2041637 Reply
        WSjsachs177
        AskWoody Lounger

We currently use Office 365Β  ProPlus. We previously used Office 2016. I haven’t noticed any difference in the nature of frequency of the problem. I really don’t think the version of Office affects it.

• #2041646 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

I did a very simple comparison test using hyperlinks, but didn’t get alerted to a problem (using 2013). I presume the conditions weren’t similar enough.

Maybe someone else will have better luck replicating the problem? πŸ™‚

• #2041768 Reply
        WSjsachs177
        AskWoody Lounger

As I said, it happens repeatedly — not consistently. If you try several times under different conditions with different files, you may (or may not) be able to reproduce what is happening to me.

Apart from that, I welcome any suggestions on how to identify the enabling conditions so that I can tell you how to make it happen.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Document compare says links & pictures are changed when they're not

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.