News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Does a Logon Password Protect From Outside Attacks?Necessary

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Does a Logon Password Protect From Outside Attacks?Necessary

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 41 minutes ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Oksana
        AskWoody Plus

Does a logon password deter outside threats. In other words, if I’m not concerned with someone getting physical access to my computer, is a long complicated password necessary? For example, between motherboard drivers and other software, I have about 40 pieces of software to install on a fresh install of Windows. That’s a lot of rebooting and entering the password. Granted, I only do a fresh install at most twice a year. But using a balanced power plan for me means the screen turns off in ten minutes and hard drives shut off in 30. So a lot logons happen. I have long passwords for my backup images and email backups and I’m wondering when they are really needed. I hope this was the right area to ask this question. The security area didn’t seem correct for this question.

• #2297353 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Oskana,

I believe it does. However, I can’t prove it…

To get around the password problem I use Sysinternals AutoLogon. Once activated it automatically enters your password upon logon. However, if your computer goes to sleep you still have to enter the password to get back in. Works great for me.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

• #2297624 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

You can of course choose to not need a pw to resume

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2297445 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

No, it does not protect you from a knowledgeable attacker.
        You need to encrypt the hard drive to fully protect your stuff.

I would use a PIN to protect my PC and have an encrypted disk – a 5 or 6 digit PIN will take a long time to break and is fine for mere mortals with no state secrets to hide. 🙂
        Obviously, you would have a better password on your password manager.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Does a Logon Password Protect From Outside Attacks?Necessary

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.