News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Does anyone have experience using Exact Audio Copy

Posted on The_Geologist Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Does anyone have experience using Exact Audio Copy

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        The_Geologist
        AskWoody Plus

I was thinking of downloading Exact Audio Copy for audio files.  Does anyone here use it?

• #2306182 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I tried it a long long time ago but settled on Media Monkey as I like the library and sync functions. The paid version has “secure ripping” which claims to produce more accurate rips on less than perfect media.

cheers, Paul

• #2306234 Reply
        SB9K
        AskWoody Lounger

Once upon a time, I used Exact Audio Copy to archive my CD collection to FLAC. This was back when there wasn’t really anything else that had an equivalent to EAC’s secure mode. In EAC, that mode doesn’t rely on the optical drive’s built-in error-correction, and can (in some cases) get you a clean rip from a scratched disc even when the drive has no built-in correction. This is the main reason I chose EAC; I had no desire to go out and buy an expensive optical drive that was “better” for ripping. Secure mode can slow the job down immensely, but that didn’t bother me because I intended to do it once, correctly. If you’re not interested in secure mode, then almost any CD ripper will do.

MediaMonkey’s Secure Ripping seems to be similar, though I can’t say if they are equal since I haven’t tested the latter. MM is also a full-featured media manager, while EAC is very focused on ripping. Both can use the AccurateRip database to compare your results to those of others for some added confidence.

Gaming Rig: Win 8.1 Pro - Group A + Blackbird
        Work Desktop: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (+ Win 8.1 VM, "just in case")
        Notebook (guinea pig): Whatever flavor of Linux I tried last
        File Server: TurnKey Linux
      • #2306269 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I use TAudioConverter Portable which is audio converter and CD audio extractor.
        I keep the tracks as Flac.

When converting the app uses all cores so if you have a 8 core CPU it will convert 8 files at the same time.

• #2306358 Reply
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, EAC works fine.  There are faster ways to rip, but if there are any media quality concerns, EAC is the way to go.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Does anyone have experience using Exact Audio Copy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.