News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Does it exist?

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Does it exist?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Hey Y’all,

I’ve been searching all weekend for a USB 2.0+ splitter cable from Female to TWO Male, or even all Male connectors ( I have an adapter to solve that problem). All I can find are ones that only send DATA down one branch the other is strictly power.

I know, you’re asking yourself, why would someone want to send the same data stream down two different branches? Well, here’s the use case. I just purchased a Dual monitor KVM switch that I’m very happy with. I knew going in that it was not going to play well with my Logitech G710+ keyboard and I’m trying to solve that problem. I have the G710+ working just fine on both PC’s as I’ve routed the keyboard data cable through the standard USB attachment on the device and I’m using one of the Keyboard/Mouse ports to supply the additional power required by the G710+.

The problem is if I don’t route the keyboard data cable through one of the Keyboard/Mouse ports I can’t use the keyboard to switch computers/modes I’m stuck using the buttons on the unit (under my desk) or the supplied remote (which works just fine). So I want the Y cable to feed the keyboard data signal to both the standard USB port for actual keyboard operation and to the Keyboard/Mouse port merely for detecting computer/mode switching.  Because of this detection circuitry it doesn’t pass the G710+ special keys through which causes the problem.

I’m also considering trying to run a small hub backwards to accomplish this, don’t know if it will work though, but I’m still looking for a second USB Male-to-Male cable.

Ideas? 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Like this?

usb_splitter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitters-wishacc-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Cable/dp/B07T1J9WNV

Both ports can apparently charge and data sync, but only one port at a time – hence the inline switch.

I know the URL points to Amazon UK but the blurb shows it’s shipped from Amazon US.

Hope this helps…

UPDATE: Here’s the US link:

https://www.amazon.com/Splitters-wishacc-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Cable/dp/B07T1J9WNV/

PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

Edited – First attempt inserted a picture, not a link. Insert the https:// prefix.
          {insert} http://www.amazon.com/Splitters-wishacc-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Cable/dp/B07T1J9WNV/

Well shoot. Now the system volunteered an http (not s) prefix. Needs to be WITH an S.
          Over to you.

RetiredGeek
          AskWoody MVP

Rick, thanks but the switch is the thing I’m trying to avoid. I can already do that with the provided remote. I want a dual feed so I can use all the features of my G710+ and still be able to switch computers/modes with the keyboard. 😎

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
          Computer Specs

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I was looking for those gizmoes too, but I was told multiple times, that it does not exist. So I think its not possible. I think the only way is to replicate through some sort of PLC/Raspberry Pi.
        Backwards USB hub does not work neither, as I tried already.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

1 user thanked author for this post.
          RetiredGeek
          AskWoody MVP

Doriel, thanks for saving me the trouble of trying the reverse hub approach. The Raspberry PI seems a bit of overkill and too expensive a solution. 😎

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
          Computer Specs

doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I know its overkill, but if you already had one, you can program it for this 🙂 I hope you will find the way how to solve your problem. Good luck, Mr. RG!

anonymous

I think a self-powered USB hub (one that comes with its own external power supply) is your best bet.

The problem with splitters is they also divide the voltage. Or in this case, the “signal strength” of the data. That could result in connectivity issues.

And a self-powered hub is better because you don’t want to risk putting too great a demand on the computer’s USB port.

And if me, I would go for USB 3.0. That will give you much more flexibility today, and ensure compatibility next year when you try to connect that new USB 3.0 device.

anonymous

These two sellers claim the cables can provide data and power: Seller 1, Seller 2 Yellow & Black, Navy & Black. (I offer these link as examples and have not ever used any of these products.)

Have you thought of making your own adapter cable?

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

From the link

This usb splitter cable male to 2 female adapter Instantly transform one of your USB ports into two, Enables connecting 2 additional USB devices to a single USB port

We are trying to do otherway. We want to replicate one USB into two branches. Make two outputs of one source. The one you posted is not splitter, its “joiner”. Seller has misleading information.

wavy
            AskWoody Plus

The one you posted is not splitter, its “joiner”. Seller has misleading information.

Looks like what I would call a splitter. A joiner would be what is sought.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

I wonder if the reason that ‘it doesn’t exist’ has to do with USB signaling protocols? We know that ethernet cables cannot be just connected in series or parallel. Is there the same issue with USB – the Data connections? Comments from anyone who has knowledge of this?

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I wonder if the reason that ‘it doesn’t exist’ has to do with USB signaling protocols?

Very close. My experience is, that the communication goes both directions through USB. The USB device and master device performs some sort of “handshake”.

we could say, that one slave cannot have two masters. (little reference to my favourite theatre play by Carlo Goldoni – The Servant of Two Masters).

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t think the USB (serial) protocol can handle 2 devices using the same port simultaneously.

That’s what hubs (or the splitter cable with the switch) are for. 🙂

Things are a bit more complicated now, rather than with an old skool RS-232 serial port.

anonymous

? says:

the answer may be contained in this wiki article?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

1 user thanked author for this post.
        WSscaisson
        AskWoody Lounger

The best way is to use a USB hub. USB is not designed to be in Y connection, just like Ethernet wiring.

However, rules are made to be broken!

If you know enough you might be able to make it work, though it might limp along. But mouse, keyboard are slow devices, even USB1 works well for mice and keyboards, with speed to spare. So the Y thing might work. But you need to know how to solder, and some knowledge of USB2.0.
        USB2.0 uses differential signal in Voltage (+side – -side = 402mVdc), using constant current drive (aka current mode, at constant 18.77mA, no bigger or smaller). Uses twisted pair (again, like Ethernet). The impedance is 90 Ohms (Ethernet is 100 Ohms, ‘close enough’!). Impedance is not resistance (a DC point of view). Impedance is frequency domain. At zero frequency (DC) the terminal is still made to be 90 Ohms. That is, each wire to ground is a 45-Ohm resistor. From +D wire to -D wire will then be 45+45=90 Ohms, the twisted wire native impedance!
        Connect two +D (and two -D) wire together (for Y connection), you’d half the terminal impedance (and 1/2 the DC resistance too!). Well, if you put a 45-Ohm resistor in series with EACH data wire (on EACH branch of the Y cable) you lower the parallel connection mismatch impact. Noise and IL (insertion loss) are high. But for slow devices like mouse, it might work!
        Soldering is a must. If use SMD (surface mount device) resistor, the tiny thing can fit inside a USB connector.
        Commercially, though, you cannot sell a truly Y-connected USB cable. It violates USB standard and might cause damage (highly unlikely because USB2.0 is current mode, only 17.88mA max).  But legal department is the more scary part. Same reason you don’t sell Ethernet Y-cable or Y-connector (hint: there IS one on the market!). But look, telephone cable (600-Ohm impedance twisted pair) do have sale of Y-cable and it works. Why? Slow speed; can tolerate large signal loss.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Does it exist?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.