News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • DoH DNS-over-HTTPS on a Chromebook

Posted on alphacharlie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Chromebooks and ChromeOS DoH DNS-over-HTTPS on a Chromebook

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        alphacharlie
        AskWoody Plus

I hope this is not too esoteric.   I am still early in learning to use the Chromebook.

Recently I learned about encrypted DNS and DNS-over-HTTPS, which it seems is a way to hide  DNS queries from your ISP.  I have pointed my wifi network to use Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 as primary DNS server, and Quad9 9.9.9.9 as a secondary server.

I can get it to work on a Windows PC (there is an application called SimpleDNSCrypt) and for the iOS there is a free app called DNSCloak.  But I would like to use it on the Chromebook.

I found instructions to type this into the chrome address bar:

chrome://flags/#dns-over-https          and then set it to Enable.

Now, the test is to point the browser to    1.1.1.1/help

which confirms that I am connected but it still says NO to DoH.   Has anyone here tried this?  Thank you.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by alphacharlie.
      • #2140971 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

seems is a way to hide  DNS queries from your ISP

Your ISP still knows which site you went to so you haven’t gained any privacy.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        • #2141366 Reply
          alphacharlie
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you Paul, that makes sense.

So I would like to understand correctly the benefits of  DNS encryption.   Is it only to prevent  “Man in the Middle = MITM”  or DNS hijacking attacks?     Meanwhile, I read that Google, Microsoft, Mozilla are all moving to build DoH into their browsers, eventually by default.

Once the originating user receives the IP address of a site from whichever DNS server they use, then the ISP can still control and redirect that connection, right?  Where is the “gain” in privacy?

Thanks for shedding any light on this subject.

• #2141468 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

DNS encryption is about security, not privacy. DNS poisoning and MitM are issues, but like all internet activities, you need to take some care.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: DoH DNS-over-HTTPS on a Chromebook

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.