News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Doing a bit of re-organizing

Home Forums AskWoody blog Doing a bit of re-organizing

Viewing 25 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

I’m doing some reorganizing of the side menu to make the site better in the long run.  First off thank you to all that make the forums a happy and hea
        [See the full post at: Doing a bit of re-organizing]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Kirsty
        Manager

Remember too as you post a question to either tick the box “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” or – if you just want to watch the topic and not post, remember to click subscribe at the top of the topic. Either method will ensure that you get an alert when someone someone posts.

Naturally, this only applies to logged in posters, not anonymous site visitors…

anonymous

I don’t like it. Just my opinion. Probably won’t visit as often.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Susan Bradley
          Manager

The alternative is that the site goes down and you wouldn’t be able to visit at all.  Sometimes with technology you have to do what you have to do.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Time for a new host?

2 users thanked author for this post.
            anonymous

There are other options. You could cache the results and only refresh them every X number of seconds with a single database hit.

Alternatively, the database could be set up to journal new posts as they are made, rather than doing a search to find all new posts. That would make it where there is a small hit only when a post is being made, but not repeatedly every time a page is refreshed.

I mean, removing it is the easiest option, by far. But it’s not the only one. So, if people really do care, I could see looking into something like the above (or maybe another idea) to keep the feature without it causing problems.

That said, I myself won’t miss it. I never found it that useful. But I also very, very rarely use the actual forums.

CAS
          AskWoody Plus

To anonymous: What is about the actions that Susan has taken that irks you so much? Just curious.

Peace, CAS

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

It’s new, it’s different, so of course I didn’t like it…

… for about all of 5 seconds when I decided to take Susan’s suggestion of going to “New Posts: Last Day”. I can update that page whenever I want with the refresh button, which is what I used to do on the home page, but now I actually get the new posts for the last 24 hours instead of only the last 20 or 30 new posts. After each listed topic there’s a small orange circle with a triangle in it. Click that and you’ll go to the first new reply you haven’t read.

So, give it 5 seconds – 10 max. You’ll like it. IMHO an excellent change.

Edit: The circle is more brown than orange, until you hover your pointer over it, and it’s a greater than sign rather than a triangle inside the circle.

anonymous

Too much scrolling to get to latest posts.

DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

There’s no more scrolling involved doing it my new way than there was before. If I’m on “New posts: Last day” and I see a topic with “new reply” in white letters on a green background, I click on the small brown disk with a greater than sign in it and I’m taken right to the first new reply that I haven’t read. Of course, I’m a member and I’m logged in, so my experience might be different than yours.

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

The “Recent Replies” list is the first and usually the only place I check at AskWoody.com. Without requiring additional clicks, it presents a concise rundown, not only of what’s hot in the last few hours, but also of new topics that have been posted.

The first link in what is now the top list, “Search for Topics”, is labeled “Most popular topics”. (BTW, how does “Most popular topics” differ conceptually from the list for “Topics with most replies”?) I just took a screenshot of the list that appears when clicking on that link:

Most-popular-topics

Note that one of these “popular” topics last had a post 5 hours ago, and another one had a post a week ago: the rest haven’t had anything added to them in months or even years. In what sense are these topics “popular”? Maybe at one point they were, but certainly not now. How about renaming this list “Longest Threads” and putting it toward the bottom of the list?

As for that category, “New posts since last visit”–what counts as the “last visit”? Typically, I leave browser tabs open to the AskWoody.com home page, and then refresh every so often to see what’s new in terms of replies. Will I now have to actually leave the site (e.g., close the browser tab) and open a new tab in order to make it a “new visit” so that I can see the posts that are new since the last time I checked?

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

A little experimenting seems to indicate the ‘since last visit means the last time you were logged in; so, if you stay logged in continuously your last visit will have been some time ago.

I used to do what you did – sit on the home page and refresh every so often. Now I sit on the “New Posts: Last Day” page and refresh every so often; it has exactly the same effect (I typically log in once every day.)

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I just put a direct and more obvious link to the “Posts in the last day” that’s up near the top.  See if that works better?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I might be about to become really unpopular here after I have said what I am going to say about this sidebar radical reorganizing, but I am 100% with DrBonzo. The “Recent Replies” has not been great for me (since around the time of, or not long after the”Swallowing of the Whale”), because now suddenly a supposedly terrifying something comes up and all notices of comments posted before the last two hours disappear buried in an endless series of later comments on the same one scary issue in just the one thread.

I much prefer to use, and I do use, “New posts: Last x days”, where all those 00 (that’s the infinity sign) comments on a bad Windows patch, for example, get collapsed to just the one entry by the last person who commented on that issue and I can see what else has come up sometime between right now and less than very, very recently. If either the last person, or the thread that last person commented on, interests me, then I connect to that last comment to that thread, scan this last comment, if I find it interesting enough, I read it in detail, from top to bottom,  and then go scrolling upwards from there.

Now, what I do not understand is why this reorganization of the sidebar is the one alternative to never again anybody being able to access AskWoody.  Susan?

Also, DrBonzo: What little triangle? I see nothing like that in “New posts: Last x days.”

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

Right now when I look at New Posts:Last Day I see a green box with the white words “new reply” in it, then a couple of small icons, then the link “Doing a bit of re-organizing”, then a small brown circle with a greater than sign in it. I edited my post above to say it is actually a greater than sign and not a small triangle. When my pointer hovers over the circle it changes to orange and a small pop-up message “First new reply” appears. It seems that only topics that begin with the green box with white words “new reply” have the small circle containing the greater than sign.

(And technically, I suppose it’s not actually a circle since it’s a ‘filled in’ graphic in a circular shape, and a circle is just the set of points at a fixed distance from a given point, and does not include all the points in the interior of the boundary formed by that set of points. I should have referred to it as a disk, but colloquial English usage won out.)

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

DrBonzo: I just check this out and it is as you have explained. Thanks.

Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

Well Susan while you are at it why not minimize/remove that ‘newsletter sign up notice’ – more importantly do something more visually friendly to that insipid pale yellow right hand side panel- it makes it difficult to see for very old eyes, especially with blue writing.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

That notice should go away when you log in. It doesn’t for you?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Maybe it’s always been that way, but “Recent Topics” on the sidebar are not in chronological order. It would make more sense if they were.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

It’s ordered by the time of “topic” posting on the site, not by the age of the response to the topic.  Does that make sense?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

If I remember correctly, this is the way it always has been: threads ordered according to when they were started and annotated with the time of the last comment added to each of them. When a new thread gets started, its name appears at the top of the list and the last and oldest one in the list sinks out of sight for ever, even if it has had a comment added five seconds ago.

By the way, Susan: couldn’t this list be extended further into the past, now that there is more brown sidebar real state available to do that?

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

Earlier this hour, I posted in this thread to ask if I now have to leave the site and go back in, in order to see any results in that “New posts since last visit” list. I also described the inadequacy of the “New posts: Last day” list in comparison to the “Recent Replies” list that used to appear in the sidebar. Per the Lounge Rules, there were no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics, and no religion.

And yet, that post is no longer showing up.

EDIT: And when this post went up, it appeared with an image attachment that I did NOT attach (there were no attachments to this post).

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I’m still seeing that post, it hasn’t been removed.  I haven’t put in the cache plug in, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth,

It is definitely a matter of how one is used to do things here. I have never looked into ‘”New posts after last visit”, would look very quickly at “New Replies”, to see what was the latest excitement about, and then would dive into “New posts: Last three days”, in case I might have missed something that far back. Followed by a quick look at “My Profile/Replies Created” to see which of my recent comments had been disappeared. Because, you know.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I think it would be useful to have the recent replies on a link for those who use it – I do sometimes.

cheers, Paul

3 users thanked author for this post.
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Paul T: “I think it would be useful to have the recent replies on a link

That sounds to me like a good alternative to no “Recent Replies” at all and it should not break the bank. It might also make possible having a longer list of recent replies, so those several hours old will not vanish into oblivion too soon. Susan?

Susan Bradley
            Manager

Try the new link on the side for “Posts with recent replies

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Oh, I meant to write a longer list of “Recent Topics.” My mistake. Sorry!

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Susan: “Posts in the last day”, “Posts with recent replies” and “Recently active topics”: how are they different? I had a quick look at each of them and they seemed very similar to each other, so I better ask.

Cybertooth
              AskWoody Plus

As an experiment, I opened separate tabs for this new “Posts with Recent Replies” and for “New posts: Last day”. The two yielded identical results on the first page, the only difference being that “New posts: Last day” announces it’s showing topics 1-15 of a total of 38, whereas “Posts with Recent Replies” announces it’s showing 1-15 of a total of 178,487. So “Posts with Recent Replies” doesn’t really add anything for someone looking for recent replies.

(The “Posts with Recent Replies” link, BTW, leads to exactly the same place as the link to “Recently active topics”, so it’s redundant.)

The “Recent Replies” list that sat in the sidebar until tonight is conceptually distinct from these two, in that it showed the last X number of most recent posts in any topic, whereas the lists in the two links above give only the single most recent post for each topic. It’s the first concept that one hopes will be replicated in whatever form.

EDIT: Also, the post that I reported as having disappeared is still not showing up. I verified this on a different PC where I am not logged into AskWoody.com. It is a more recent post than #2370565, and it was posted around 11:15PM Eastern Time, give or take 15 minutes on either side.

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

A list of posts by date rather than topics by post date.

cheers, Paul

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Excellent, the two queries we need in an easy to find location.

Maybe just call it “Recent Replies” rather than “Posts with Recent Replies”.

cheers, Paul

Seff
        AskWoody Plus

The main change I’ve noticed this week is the lack as yet of any “front page” article on Tuesday’s June Windows Updates (apart from a bit about the News and Interests feature). A subscriber has started a topic on a sub-forum, which you have to go looking and clicking for, but usually we’d have an early listing of the critical fixes and other updates on the front page as soon as they became known, which is where I suspect most followers of the site start and end their visits most of the time.

JCpharm
          AskWoody Plus

Agree. This is a monthly item that I look for. Patch Tuesday is still very relevant I would assume.

Win10 Pro version 20H2

Seff
        AskWoody Plus

On the matter of re-organisation,  I certainly miss the “recent replies” widget but only when I’m on the front page. Susan reports that the performance hit derives at least in part from the fact that it is on every page, but is that strictly necessary? Has any consideration been given to having it appear only on the home page?

6 users thanked author for this post.
        howardagoldberg
        AskWoody Plus

Susan, thank you. IMHO this is a huge improvement. The links in the right-hand menu make everything much more accessible, less unwieldy, and the site does seem to pop (especially as compared to before this change). I like it!

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Wouldnt be more appropriate to “generate recent replies and store it in variable”, so it can be displayed everywhere just by reading the variable?
        Recent replies are good for me, because you can react quickly on people asking for help. If, for example, new users wont get answer within few hours, they could not return to the page at all.
        Just my idea, maybe it could inspire someone 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I wish there were an easy way to find *your*own* posts.   I sometimes have something to update on an old thread of mine and it’d be great if, as most forums do, there was a “my activitiy” either in the right-menu or accessible from the “my account” menu.   I know that threr **IS* such a page because I sometimes find it when I do a “site=askwoody.com” netsearch but I can never remember the URL

I also wonder what the overall opinion is toward making “notify me of updates” the default?

PKCano
          Manager

Does “Topics with my reply” work?

Otherwise, click on your Avatar/ID and choose “Replies created” or “Topics started”

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

berniec: If you click on your icon at the top of the sidebar, you are taken to the page with your profile. There, on the left of the page, you have buttons labelled “Replies Created”  and “Topics Started”. If you click on “Replies Created” you’ll find all your comments there ordered from later ones to earlier ones, from the very latest all the way back to the very first comment you ever posted at AskWoody. “Topics Started” shows links to the latest comment entered in every single thread you have ever started in any one of the forums. I hope this answers your question.

berniec
            AskWoody Plus

It does — exactly what I was looking for and never knew it was there.  thanks

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m reminded every time I login to this forum that I’m not a Plus Member.
        I can however, without a Plus Membership, use the site, but I can’t get the most recent AskWoody Plus Newsletters, and I won’t be able to download Master Patch Lists. I’m also asked to help keep the site alive and become a Plus Member and to remember the ‘site’ is on a donation model, so I only pay what I think it’s worth.

Perhaps those that currently want to contribute to the ‘sites’ admin should pay more to help with maintenance/repairs/upgrades etc! ?
        Personally, in maybe 27 years of forum use as a viewer and a contributing member, I can’t recall ever being asked to donate any money towards the forum’s ‘upkeep’ with the exception of this one.
        I have never needed or wanted AskWoody Plus Newsletters, and I have managed just fine without any Master Patch Lists over the years so there is no incentive for me or others to pay anything.
        I’m not sure if the admin is aware that all that they are making available to those that donate, is ‘generously’ being uploaded by some kind ‘Plus Member(s)’ to servers which generally hold illegal/pirated content and it is made available for free for all to download should they want to. Obviously, the location of this ‘free’ content needs to be known, but it’s not too hard to find.

Hollywood has spent Billions of $ over the years trying to prevent copied/pirated dramas/movies/music/DVDs/BDs etc from being uploaded, then downloaded, but they cannot and never will stop it. Where there’s a will . . . . . !
        With that in mind, perhaps a different ‘business’ model should be considered to secure Askwoody’s future, as trusting ‘some’ that donate for its survival is not always a good practice.

When a forum becomes very popular and a ‘business’ opportunity is on the horizon with its own staff, then the model chosen has to reflect the current and future ambitions of the creators/administrators/staff/etc.
        I’ve seen many, forums over the years having issues one way or another and often it is too many forums, within forums, within forums, too many links to all those forums, that contribute to the massive, un-need databases and eventually their chosen software will creak and groan and not cope very well.
        It’s the members/donors/viewers that suffer and when their concerns are not seriously ‘heard’, the very same, loyal members/donors/viewers will simply go elsewhere for a better, more reliable experience.
        Forums that don’t change/modify/improve will ultimately pay the price – they will cease to exist.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Surely you can afford $10 to help out – and lose the reminder.  🙂

cheers, Paul

Moonshine
            AskWoody Lounger

Surely you can afford $10 to help out – and lose the reminder

I don’t think this forum would appreciate any help I could offer.
            What reminder?

b
              AskWoody MVP

What reminder?

I’m reminded every time I login to this forum that I’m not a Plus Member.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Moonshine
                AskWoody Lounger

b You have quoted me twice in the above post.
                First being “What reminder”
                That was a reference to the animation in post No 2370740. As in now you see it – now you don’t.
                Before I was reminded every time I login to this forum that I’m not a Plus Member.
                Now there is no reminder.
                I hope that clears any confusion over being off topic (the post that was removed).

Susan Bradley
              Manager

I appreciate all donations no matter the amount.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Just noticed this morning that the first few words of text that showed when you hovered over the Recent Topics is gone.  Is this also part of the new changes?  It’s not a really big deal but I did like that nice feature of the site.

Also:  Recent Replies no longer exists on the side bar anymore.

Also:  Just now I noticed that this post didn’t come up in the Recent Topics.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 15 hours ago by Charlie.
          PKCano
          Manager

The post is a Reply, not a Topic.

Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

Yes, I know that now.  It’s a bigger change than I thought.

I’m just so accustomed to going on this site and knowing how to use it. I didn’t notice at first and should have read all of Susan’s re-organizing post.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 14 hours ago by Charlie.
          b
          AskWoody MVP

I also really miss hovering over each reply link under Recent Replies on the side to read the first line of each reply. I guess I will be visiting many more pages if recent reply links stay missing from the home page.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

3 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

wow! congratulations on creating a windows 10 esq site, click, click, click, click, click, click and no computerworld article or a blog about patch tuesday’s releases

Sky
        AskWoody Plus

As someone who has done a decent amount of database management in the past, it pains me to see that the sidebar was coded this way with no regard for processing requirements. It’s bad for server costs and bad for page load time.

It would be much better to, upon the posting of a reply, save the ID of that reply in a ‘recent posts’ table in the forum database, and delete the earliest reply in that table at the same time. Then, when a page is loaded, instead of going through and sorting every post, simply load the reply IDs from the ‘recent posts’ table.

The same should really be done for Recent Topics, too.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

This doesn’t help:

W3C

And that is from just this topic.  This site is cobbled together from two cookie-cutter site developer kits, WordPress and bbPress sharing a huge database, in addition to being very dated.

Are either of the underlying frameworks fully updated?  I have a tendency to doubt that, bearing in mind the mindset of the site itself.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Yes it’s fully up to date. I test first on a testing site and then deploy here.  WordPress is one of the most attacked web sites on the universe therefore I do not delay here.  I do risk based patching based on what I’m protecting.  This site has a very short window between code released and installed as a result.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Isn’t it the time to chand the wording under the AskWoody logo from :

News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more

To something like : News, tips, advice, support for OS platforms, Software, Hardware & More ?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Is it possible to limit the Recent Replies query to less than 100 entries? Might make it quicker.

cheers, Paul

kewlputergeek
        AskWoody Plus

A bit off-topic — perhaps I should start a diff thread?

I absolutely hate that the Web site template is not mobile responsive.  It’s my #1 complaint. [i.e. I really don’t have any important complaints — I’m a huge AskWoody fan and have been a paid Windows Secrets subscriber since its inception.]

Is there anything that can be done to switch to a 2021-style template?  From a visual complexity point-of-view, the AskWoody site is not complex at all.  Shouldn’t be very hard to replace the theme and use a builder, unless there are issues that a fast glance at the code didn’t surface.  Happy to help out if I can — I use Elementor and, when forced to, Avada and Gutenberg.

Once you move to a real development tool (even Gutenberg qualifies), sky’s the limit on easy enhancements, and they’re all at least minimally mobile responsive.

Thanks!

Susan Bradley
          Manager

It’s in the plans but everyone has to understand that there is a lot of complexity and custom items in the theme that means that there will be a lot of testing and planning before a change is made.  Throw in bbpress and bottom line, yes, we are planning this but it’s not going to happen tomorrow.

It may not look visually complex, but it really is behind the scenes.

You also realize that every time I make any sort of change I get tons of complaints 🙂

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

kewlputergeek
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Susan!

My comments refer only to the low visual complexity!  The other back-end complexity (anything built on forum software is wickedly complex on the back end — I used to maintain a site built on YaBB, and I was always in the code hacking it ) should be easy to plug in however it is plugged in now.  That’s the beauty of modern builders — the visual details are handled for you, and the other stuff keeps working the way it always did.

But, could be a dozen things I missed while poking around that would make me say “Oh, that might not be easy. Never mind.”

Well, whether it’s eventually changed to engender tons of complaints (and my praise) or not, thanks for all that you do and for making sure that this treasure of a site keeps on humming!

Susan Bradley
              Manager

We’re going to work on the contrast in the meantime.  The issue is that there’s some unique code to handle some of the back end stuff so we have to test/make sure nothing else broke/roll it out/realize that something did break and deal with it. 🙂  But for sure it’s on the priority list.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

kewlputergeek
                AskWoody Plus

Feel free to add me to your beta tester list if you’re shortstaffed.  If I’m going to complain about something, I s/be willing to help test the fix… 🙂

WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

I’d like to see a link for “My favorite posts”. I don’t mean “my posts that are my favorite” here, although there’s nothing that would prohibit that. What I mean, in contrast, is “posts that are my favorites.”

For example, there are posts that you’d like to keep track of because they all relate to the same subject, but they are posted in a myriad of topics. Many of these posts aren’t even your posts, but instead are those of others. And you might not have even posted alongside those who have posted in the topic. I don’t see any way to keep track of the posts themselves, except, perhaps by marking the topics as a “favorite” and then wading through the entire topic to find the post that you want to keep track of. And I don’t see any way, once at a topic, to search within the topic for a specific poster or a specific term to help you find what you are looking for.

Let’s have a link for “favorite posts“!

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I’d like to see a link for “My favorite posts”. I don’t mean “my posts that are my favorite” here, although there’s nothing that would prohibit that. What I mean, in contrast, is “posts that are my favorites.”

Capture-4

??? Not what you want??

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

No, because that is for Favorite Topic, which gives you the topic and all of its posts. But, there are only a few of the posts in a topic that are relevant to the subject I want to follow and there are other posts in other topics that are also relevant to the subject. “Favorite posts” would gather all of the posts together, no matter what topic it is in, and would only have the posts in the topics that are marked for “Favorite Post”

kewlputergeek
          AskWoody Plus

Arghhhh.  Didn’t realize I wasn’t logged in.  Reposting.

I think the solution to WCHS’s problem is Evernote or a similar product.  It’s designed to do exactly what is wanted, and it provides way more flexibility than bulletin board software ever could.  I Evernote AskWoody newsletter content from almost every issue.

The procedure is simple:

1. Go the page.
          2. Use Evernote’s browser extension (“Web clipper”) to clip the page.  Several options are available, and all will also save the URL of the page.
          3. Tag the clip w/ something(s) meaningful to you.  I keep it simple (e.g. windows 10, sw util, covid-19, etc.), but some people make up complex taxonomies.  Ex: windows10.hardware.usb.askwoody, windows10.software.os.computerworld, etc.

Note that the above can be as complex as you want to make it — Evernote’s feature set goes way beyond what I need.

I have Fred Langa posts saved in Evernote that pre-date the existence of Windows Secrets Lounge, Windows Secrets, and even Evernote itself.

anonymous

I think the solution to WCHS’s problem is Evernote or a similar product.  It’s designed to do exactly what is wanted, and it provides way more flexibility than bulletin board software ever could.  I Evernote AskWoody newsletter content from almost every issue.

The procedure is simple:

1. Go the page.
          2. Use Evernote’s browser extension (“Web clipper”) to clip the page.  Several options are available, and all will also save the URL of the page.
          3. Tag the clip w/ something(s) meaningful to you.  I keep it simple (e.g. windows 10, sw util, covid-19, etc.), but some people make up complex taxonomies.  Ex: windows10.hardware.usb.askwoody, windows10.software.os.computerworld, etc.

Note that the above can be as complex as you want to make it — Evernote’s feature set goes way beyond what I need.

I have Fred Langa posts saved in Evernote that pre-date the existence of Windows Secrets Lounge, Windows Secrets, and even Evernote itself.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I put favorite topics as a short cut in case that helps.  The issue is that any sorting by replies is very inefficient and causes a drag on the database.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 25 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Doing a bit of re-organizing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.