• Don’t have your online identity in just one account

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Cyber Security for Home Users » Don’t have your online identity in just one account

Author
    Topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/27/technology/google-youtube-abuse-mistake.html?unlocked_article_code=1.CE0.VKVk.BLE2XZPutTPM&smid=url-share

“He said Ms. Watkins’s struggle after losing access to Google was “a good argument for spreading out your digital life” and not relying on one company for so many services.”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

“He said Ms. Watkins’s struggle after losing access to Google was “a good argument for spreading out your digital life” and not relying on one company for so many services.”

That, and where possible, not to rely on any company for services. Use them as an added convenience if you wish, but don’t rely on them.

From the article:

“She lost access to her photos, documents and email, she said, meaning she couldn’t get messages about her work schedule, review her bank statements or “order a thickshake” via her McDonald’s app — which she logs into using her Google account.”

Photos and documents should be stored locally if you would be even a bit annoyed to lose them. If the data are not under your direct control, they’re not under your control at all. That’s not good enough.

I don’t know how she lost access to banking, unless they used her gmail address for verification. I would not think a bank would accept a Google login in lieu of logging in with an account provided by the bank itself. I would certainly not use a Google account for logging into anything other than Google itself (and those prompts to do this are everywhere).

Ordering a “thickshake” can be done at the drive-thru… you simply tell the person what you want when asked. So simple, yet effective! Using a phone seems like extra, and unnecessary, complication of a very simple process.

Most people aren’t about to set up their own email server, so they do need to rely on some company for the service, and certainly it would be a better idea to use a dedicated email provider, if you’re not going to use the one (if any) your ISP provides. Google is the one provider I would specifically suggest people avoid, for privacy reasons.

“She has not yet set up such an account for her twins. They are now barred from the internet.”

From one extreme to the other. Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between letting them do anything unrestricted (even having their own Youtube channel where they can upload content completely out of your sight) and being barred from the internet?

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
      XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/32GB & GTX1660ti, KDE Neon
      Acer Swift Go 14, i5-1335U/16GB, KDE Neon (and Win 11)

2 users thanked author for this post.

Many old timers without cellphone have lost access to gmail over the last 2 years. Tomorrow Dec 1, gmail accounts will be deleted. I have not been able to log into account for two years from my Windows XP computer since Gmail since using unknown device. It is the same computer I used when I open the account. Well it is time for the old timers to be thrown out with the bath water.. if you remember that old saying.

I’m not surprised as XP has been out-of-support for nearly a decade and has more holes than a tea-bag! reminds me of adobe flashplayer.
        Unsupported Operating systems are generally flagged as ‘unknown’ as they have too many risks associated to be used on the interweb and especially Gmail with all Google security measures.

There are free alternatives, one being a linux distro over Win XP for safer online activities.

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...

There are free alternatives, one being a linux distro over Win XP for safer online activities.

Windows Xp works well for me. I have not got any hacks or viruses on it yet. Cross fingers as types this.

Tried that. I used puppy Linux and Ubuntu. Gmail gave the same message that unknown device and did not let me sign in. It is not Windows Xp. It is gmail stupid security that is blocking me and wants to delete my account. Well I am old so will survive without it.

I know my username and password. Gmail takes it but wants cell phone to let you into account. I do not have that and will not get this tracking/listening device.

I was able to log in to one of my old (discontinued in terms of use, but still existing) Google accounts from Linux a few weeks ago, and Google does not have any information about my cell phone. Does it really require a cell phone? I mean, Windows 11 (home, at least) seems to require a Microsoft account at first glance, but it actually doesn’t.

I know these old gmail accounts are different than Google accounts, but I do not have a gmail account with which to test. (Not accurate– this was a misunderstanding on my part.)

A Gmail account is a Google account; i.e. your Gmail login will also work for all the other Google Services!

GoogleServices

Yes, I am aware of that, but I was under the impression that legacy Gmail accounts from way back when were being deleted, locking some older people out of email. Windows_XP wrote that Gmail accounts were being deleted on Dec. 1. Clearly, Google accounts are not being deleted, so I concluded that they were not the same thing. It is not uncommon for legacy accounts to be grandfathered, so it made sense that once there were Gmail accounts specifically.

I understand that what is actually going on is that they are going to delete accounts inactive for more than two years, and that it has nothing to do with Gmail specifically. I will go back and edit my old message to avoid confusion to future readers. Thanks for the poke to get me to go look it up! I was so focused on helping with the issue of getting around the cell phone thing that the other bit slipped under my radar.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Don’t have your online identity in just one account

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: