News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Download Windows Updates only in specified time window

Posted on GromitD90 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Download Windows Updates only in specified time window

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

GromitD90
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi, first post to this forum so I apologize if this has been covered previously.

I’ve read many posts on delaying updates for days at a time but I can’t find any posts that discuss how to configure Windows 10 Home to only check for updates and download them in some specified time window.

I’ve tried a registry change that mimics a Group Policy Editor setting for limiting the bandwidth available for downloads used by the BITS Service between certain hours and set this to zero. Outside of that time window I have allowed full bandwidth availability for downloads.

However, I’m not getting the expected results.

My PC is always asleep during the allowed download window so that may have something to do with it. Although my setting for automated maintenance is set within that window and is allowed to wake the PC.

What I’m seeing is, that when I wake up the PC after the specified download window has expired within a couple of seconds of waking up the BITS Service starts and downloads, if any are available, start to download and install.

Anyone have any guidance on how to configure things so that background downloads are only allowed in a specified time window?

Thanks in advance

Mike

• #2100094 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

how to configure Windows 10 Home to only check for updates and download them in some specified time window.

In Windows Update you can set ‘Active Hours’

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Download Windows Updates only in specified time window

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.