News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Downloaded Full 1903 – Got Insider Preview

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Downloaded Full 1903 – Got Insider Preview

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  barcud 4 months ago.

• Author

barcud
      AskWoody Plus

Hi’

I used the official download windows site to download the creation tool and create an install pendrive for 1903.

After trying to update my old laptop from 1803 (17164.648), it failed on the external drive problem. (I should have remembered – Duh!)

Then I copied the contents to the hard drive and the update completed. Took a time but was successful.

I ended up with 18362.30, and ran windows update where I was offered KB4497936,getting me to 18362.113. Odd as when I checked the Windows support site, that KB wasn’t mentioned. A little digging revealed that I now had Insider Preview version.

Any ideas how that happened, and more importantly how do I get the correct full version?

John

• #1840134 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You would be best served to wait until 1903 is offered to your PC through Windows Update.

We are seeing some strange behavior, like the deferral settings disappearing (might be characteristic of Insider builds, b/c they don’t have deferrals). It wouldn’t be the first time MS has issued an Insider Preview as a public release. I can recall it happening to me at least once before with early install.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1840191 Reply

barcud
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks PKCano,

I checked the ability to revert to previous version and it seemed to be there, but I wondered if I downloaded the latest full update (KB4503293) whether it would install – it’s only 200MB or so.

I checked Group Policy, Windows Update for Business, they had been disabled but accepted reenabling.

Installation completed and rebooted. Now have 18362.175.

Hmmm.

• #1840202 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Did you lose the deferral settings in the GUI (Settings app)?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  PKCano.
          • #1840695 Reply

barcud
            AskWoody Plus

Yes, they had been blanked out; I simply reentered them.

So, sorry, I didn’t look to see if they were blanked out in Settings.

• #1840157 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

Use Microsoft s Upgrade assistant. I am not sure what the web site is but you can google it.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

• #1840328 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I used the official download windows site to download the creation tool and create an install pendrive for 1903.

I did *exactly* the same as you and also got 18362.30. A ‘Check for updates’ installed KB4497936 – like you – on 21st May. A subsequent ‘Check for updates’ yesterday installed KB4503293, taking the build up to 18362.175:

1903-updated1

Perhaps do a manual ‘Check for updates’?

Hope this helps…

EDIT: Oops… OP beat me to it. Glad it updated OK.

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Downloaded Full 1903 – Got Insider Preview

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.