News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Driver Updater

Posted on Great Lake Bunyip Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Driver Updater

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PaulK 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Great Lake Bunyip
      AskWoody Plus

Greetings. The short version of this question is what paid or free driver updater do you recommend? Since a rather forced update from 1803 to 1809 in my Pro computer, I have often seen 0x9f hardware stop errors that have occurred on shutdown. Analysis by WhoCrashed Pro indicates a driver power state failure i probably in pci.sys caused by a driver that can’t be identified. Win Dbg suggests tcpip.sys. As far as I can tell I have the latest drivers. No malware. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite P50 (PSPMHA-0EE04S). Any suggestions would be most gratefully received. Thank you.

• #1913494 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

The short version of this question is what paid or free driver updater do you recommend?

The short answer : None. All are non-trusted.

If you have an OEM PC that follow their driver/software update page/software.
      If you have a DIY PC than follow each hardware manufacturer’s update page.

Block Microsoft from installing drivers.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1914494 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

The short answer : None. All are non-trusted.

If you have an OEM PC that follow their driver/software update page/software.

… Though one major OEM has more than one application and also the web page, and the one that produces best results is the non-default application. Once you figure out how to use it that is, as it’s not very end-user friendly…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1913511 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

You can use a program  such as DriverEasy (free version), or PC Pitstop Driver Alert, to get a list of the drivers (if any) which that program says are out of date on your system.  Take it no further;  if a particular “outdated” driver is of concern you can then go to that manufacturer’s web site to check if a new driver is really available, and if so download it from there.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1914504 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Some of the Fixes at Neosmart might help to narrow the problem.

You had “a rather forced update … to 1809”; do you know if this update included hardware drivers?

Can you [not] reproduce this by operating in Safe mode?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Driver Updater

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.