News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Drivers hidden by WUshowhide

• Author
        AskWoody Plus

1) I have disabled automatic driver updates (via ShutUp10) through WU per the below:

ShutUp10-WU

2) Over time I have “hidden” the following drivers in WUshowhide:

WUshowhide-Hidden-Drivers

Whereas I check Lenovo M920s (my box) updates via Lenovo Vantage, I wonder what to do with the drivers now hidden per the above?  Suggestions?

Should I allow driver updates via WU (and change the SU10 setting accordingly)?

Separately, I note the Intel Microcode KB4465065 update.  I don’t want to install anything that negatively effects CPU and/or other performance stuff.  What to do with this one?

Attachments:
      • #2017808 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

We do not recommend allowing Windows Update to install driver updates. Always go directly to the manufacturers site.

cheers, Paul

• #2017809 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Intel microcode updates are Spectre/Meltdown patches. No exploits in the wild yet, so it’s up to you what you do here.

cheers, Paul

• #2017891 Reply
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

We do not recommend allowing Windows Update to install driver updates. Always go directly to the manufacturers site.

cheers, Paul

Thanks. The “manufacturers” site being Lenovo, I suppose, and not Intel, et al. So, the answer is to keep them hidden and check for updates via Vantage. If none, ignore them!

• #2017981 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Check for Lenovo updates but don’t install unless they fix a problem that is affecting / likely to affect you. “If it ain’t broke…”

cheers, Paul

• #2018344 Reply
            CBA
            AskWoody Plus

Agree, in principle, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  But, if the guys in the know recommends a new graphics driver package (have Nvidia and Intel) or new firmware (critical/recommended) who am I to decide what to do.  It ain’t always that easy!  But, the principle is good!  Thanks.

• #2017896 Reply
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

Intel microcode updates are Spectre/Meltdown patches. No exploits in the wild yet, so it’s up to you what you do here.

cheers, Paul

Thanks.  Keep hidden seems like a reasonable plan.

• #2018069 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

@CBA

regarding Intel Microcode KB4465065 update for v1809 – that is superseded / replaced by KB4494174, which can be installed from MS update catalog:
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4494174

installing the KB4494174 V2 (2019-08) microcode update will cause Windows Update to no longer offer the KB4465065 update, meaning KB4465065 won’t appear on the pending updates list when KB4494174 is installed.

for many of those device driver updates, hide them immediately with wushowhide

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by EP.
        • #2018347 Reply
          CBA
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks.  I knew that it was superseded by a later KB, however, I still don’t know if it’s a good idea to install the KB4494174 V2 (2019-08) microcode.  I read bad stuffs about performance degradation and CPUs running warmer than normal.  I’ll download the KB in case the exploits go wild .. to paraphrase another post.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Drivers hidden by WUshowhide

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.