News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Dual boot Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro – is it possible?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Dual boot Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro – is it possible?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        kevmcc
        AskWoody Plus

Hello I’m curious about 2 things.

First thing:

I don’t want to just “upgrade” windows 10. I have a USB Retail Windows 10 Pro that I have and was curious if I could install the new windows 10 pro on a separate ssd drive and then when I boot, choose which one to load into? If so, any details on how to set that up or links to resources on how to do that would be super nice. I have checked a few things and just got more confused about it, so anyone want to steer me in the right direction?

I think fresh install is always better than trying to do an upgrade, plus, the windows 10 was moved to this computer from another one and re-licensed, so I feel like a fresh install would work great for me to sort of  “clean up the place” as far as windows goes.

Second thing: 

With the retail version of windows 10 Pro USB, am I correct that as long as I have a Microsoft account they will let me transfer the license to another computer in the future?
        I came to that conclusion since this is not an OEM copy of windows.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kevin

• #2297459 Reply
        dg1261
        AskWoody_MVP

Yes, it’s not only possible, it’s not that hard to set up if you have a clear picture how all the parts interact. I’m not sure how much you already understand, but perhaps this video of mine will help with the background concepts.

There are many different ways of getting the second OS installed after the first is already there, and my video covers just one alternative. Other people will probably give you other alternatives or have other preferences on how to layout your disks and partitions. Which method you choose is a matter of personal preference, and I’m not advocating that Macrium Reflect is the best way — that’s not the point (and indeed, my video doesn’t even go into detail how to use Macrium). The point is to help you understand the concepts of how the end result is ultimately supposed to work, and that should give you a better chance of success, or at least understand what may be wrong if it didn’t come out right.

• #2297514 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

If you have the proper hardware and resources on the PC you ought to consider installing one of the versions in a VM such as Hypervisor. then you just start the VM and both versions are available at the same time.

--Joe

• #2297548 Reply
        anonymous

You shouldn’t need a MS account, just a valid license.  I’ve moved Win 10 between machines using the same key with no issues and have never done this while online.  Not sure, but I believe your machine ID (MAC address? is uploaded to MS at some point.  If you try to reuse the license elsewhere, it won’t work, you’ll get Windows but it will have features disabled and nags to get a valid license; it’s pretty awful to run that way. Can only be on one machine at a time if it’s a single license.

I’ve also replaced (not upgraded) OEM Home installs with purchased Pro installs, no issues.  None of us have MS Accounts, don’t want or need them.  Items such as Intel Graphics Command Center and Nvidia Control Panel that install from the MS Store, download fine.

I understand what you’re trying to do, the video cited above is pretty clear on how, just not sure why.  Pro is so much better than Home with its extra customization and all the stuff that can be turned off, I’d never use Home again.

Seems like maybe you’re trying to move files or programs from the Home install to Pro, then use Pro as your OS.  Good idea, be sure the drive Pro is on is recognized as your Primary OS drive afterward (C:), you can run from D: or whatever you name it but it creates a number of issues.  Make backups if this is what you intend; getting it right the first time if the terminology is unfamiliar may not happen.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Dual boot Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro – is it possible?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.