News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Early 20H2 observations

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro 64. 2004 (since June no issues) to 20H2 Oct 28 vis Download/Install.

No issues, took approx 2 hours.

Removed gpedit changes, only had notification #2 set.

Since update, Optional Update for KB4580364 (a preview) still sitting there.

On shutdown for the night last night KB4580419 (a .net Preview) installed.

My question is, why did it install the .net preview and should I install KB4580364 that is described as addressing many issues?

Attachments:
      • #2308392 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Cumulative Update Previews are always described as addressing many issues.

Previews contain last month’s Security CU (from the previous Patch Tues) and the non-security fixes MS has been working on since the last Patch Tues.
        The Previews are meant for testing these fixes to see if they are effective and if they cause any unseen problems. If OK, these fixes are rolled into the next month’s Patch Tues Security CU.

Because of this, the Preview CUs are optional. And because of this, Woody does not recommend installing the Previews. But it is your choice whether or not you want to install the Previews and participate in the testing phase of the fixes to be included in next Patch Tuesday’s updates..

• #2308393 Reply
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry, I missed the edit window, it was the 2004 update that took 2 hours, the 20H2 only took 12 minutes.

The .net preview did NOT give me a choice, it just installed.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by PFC.
        • #2308399 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Explanation for that time difference:
          2004 and 20H2 have the same core. The difference is that in 20H2 the extra Features are turned on. If you are running 2004, basically everything is already there and the upgrade to 20H2 is only the implementation of the turning on of the Features.

On shutdown for the night last night KB4580419 (a .net Preview) installed. My question is, why did it install the .net preview

@abbodi86 gives an explanation for the .NET Preview behavior in the related discussions here, and here, and here.

• #2308398 Reply
          PFC

so I uninstalled KB4580419 and it installed KB4578968 instead. Makes sense.

thanks PK.

• #2308406 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

A bit of a tangent here, asking if the GP setting is still available in 20H2 to avoid previews altogether?
        W10 1909 (OS build) 18363.1139 has the following under ‘Windows Update for Business’
        Which, once enabled, and set to disabled in the drop down menu, Avoids ALL previews.
        Checked via WUMgr and wushowhide and no previews appear whatsoever.(and don’t have any installed)
        Might be a setting to visit and ammend..

NoPreviews

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
        Attachments:
        • #2308428 Reply
          anonymous

That’s about preview builds – prevents opting-in to Insider Program:

How to Enable or Disable Insider Build Settings in Windows 10

Wouldn’t affect any previews other than feature releases.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2308429 Reply
          anonymous

The Manage Preview Builds group policy is still there in 20H2.  Unfortunately, after enabling it and selecting Disable preview builds, KB4580364 is still offered and installed if you click download and install now.  Note that this update doesn’t appear in wushowhide, only in the windows update settings panel.  I’m not being offered any .NET previews so I can’t test the group policy for that case.  The .NET previews are the most aggravating, since they’re prone to “surprise” installs.  I’ll leave the GP set, since I can’t think of a downside, and we’ll see what happens.  But, it’s not a magic bullet 🙁

• #2308462 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

On the cautious side of updates, think I’ll keep that setting as is 😉

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
            PFC
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Early 20H2 observations

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.