News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Edge Updates

Author
    Topic

Windows 10 Pro 21H1- Is MS Edge really a call home programme? I ask because a) I don’t use it, b) will never use it, and most importantly, c) it automatically updates nearly as often as Windows Security. Not that I’m suspicious of MS!!!!!!!  Their “you get it like it or not” attitude is not freedom of choice and not very nice IMO.  Please don’t tell me about MS’s EULA – it’s in the same category as Edge – their ‘don’t give a stuff about the end users’ department. They (MS) are too big for their britches and need to be bought to task. The USA will not/cannot do it so maybe it’s up to the Europeans again.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

The field release version of Edge updates about four weeks unless there is an emergency security patch. The automatic update app for Edge does run daily. The various other channels have their own cadence which is more frequent.

As far as calling home goes, Microsoft claims to not track you the way Google does. BUT, I’m sure there is still performance information that is sent to Microsoft. You can go through the myriad of settings, both Edge and system,  to reduce what is sent. Or use one of the many third-party tools to help.

--Joe

… it automatically updates nearly as often as Windows Security.

Nearly? Edge had five updates in the last month, but Defender had more than 200.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1499 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Edge Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.