News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Editing a PDF in Mint

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    • This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Need to edit and sign some tax forms, received in PDF format, for my accountant.  Tried to do it with Libre Office Draw, but it’s telling me the doc is corrupted and cannot be opened.  Now trying to do it with GIMP which will open the doc and allow me to type in the date.  But the signature, previously stored in the file system in both odt and jpg format, is a problem.

I can paste the signature into the doc, but cannot control the size or location.  My preference is to do this without downloading another app.  Anyone have wisdom on this?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I have been using Foxit Reader for Windows for years, after ditching Adobe Reader.

Foxit has a version for Linux.

Info here> https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

Should cover this feature too: Encrypt and Sign PDFs

Many documents contain confidential information. Don’t just protect your perimeter, protect information by protecting the PDF documents themselves. Foxit PDF Reader supports multiple security options.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

And from the Mint forum…

Software to Edit and sign PDF files (Foxit has a mention here, as does a LOL for Gimp):

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=328129

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Slowpoke47

Re GIMP – when you have imported your signature as a layer into the PDF, press the Shift + S keys to allow you to use the Scale/Resize/Move handles around the signature so you can resize/move etc to your preferred location.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Slowpoke47
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, I’ll be back at this tomorrow.  A second question- once I get the signature to my liking, can I save the edits on the page and keep the page in sequence in the multi-page doc?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

. . . once I get the signature to my liking, can I save the edits on the page and keep the page in sequence in the multi-page doc?

Older versions of GIMP, AFAIK, don’t have an option to Export Layers as Pages (PDF) without using additional plug-ins/converters.
        Click the image below to see a short video of how I have installed GIMP 2.10, including additional needed software, in Mint 19.2 to create a PDF page with signature image included in a page of my/your choice and maintain the page structure on export and viewing in a PDF reader.
        Note: – there was an error showing just before the install as you’ll see, but ‘OK’-ing seems to overcome any error effects – at least in my installation.
        The preinstalled 2.8 GIMP version is still installed, but not being used on this occasion.
        You may well have the new version of GIMP – if not, I recommend you try it out.
        My method has a 4 page PDF sample and Signature .png file on the Desktop and I have dragged them into the workspace when needed.
        Result is a signature on my chosen page 2.

You could of course use the old fashioned method! – open your PDF that requires dating and a signature, print it out on actual paper, then date and sign with a pen.

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

After messing around with this for a while, I managed to get Draw to open the doc, then type in the date and paste and resize the signature.  However, I couldn’t get Draw to save the page to anywhere I could find.  Plan B was to take a screenshot of the edited page and save it to Documents.  Mission accomplished, no printing or additional apps needed.

For the few times this comes up, this method was plenty good enough.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Good to read 🙂
          Don’t save it, export it from within GIMP – File menu > File > Export.
          Can’t remember whether pdf is an option (not on tux m/c atm)

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
            Slowpoke47
            AskWoody Plus

Our system has GIMP 2.8.  Could not get the signature reduced or relocated.  In the time it would have taken me to pull the rest of my hair out, I used the workaround mentioned above.

Another oddity here- when first trying to open this pdf with Libre Office, the message was, “document corrupted, cannot open.”  This happened multiple times.  But apparently the man behind the curtain later took another look and opened it no problem.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

NaNoNyMouse
        AskWoody Lounger

Can’t remember whether pdf is an option

PDF is an export option in Gimp 2.10.12 (Windows version), without the need for any extra plugins. I’ve never used the feature in anger so I can’t say whether or not it would allow saving a multi-page file

(One point to note is that you need to specifically add the file type when exporting, i.e. “myFile.pdf” etc)

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Here’s a link that describes more or less what I wound up doing by trial and error.  Should have checked my “archives”- turns out I had it there all along.

How To Edit PDF Files In Linux In The Easiest Way Possible – It’s FOSS

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Editing a PDF in Mint

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.