News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Edward Snowdens memoirs forbidden?

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Edward Snowdens memoirs forbidden?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  isabellz3 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

EdwardSnowden states .@Snowden …. Sept.18.2019
      The government of the United States has just announced a lawsuit over my memoir, which was just released today worldwide. This is the book the government does not want you to read: (link corrected) https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Record-Edward-Snowden/dp/1250237238

PGP-ID=0x(askforit)

• #1956278 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Just curious, what court is the US going to sue in? Snowden is in Russia – are they going to sue there? Also, by suing, are they claiming ownership over the material in the memoir, that is, are they admitting that what Snowden has revealed is in fact true?

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1956328 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

The situation, as I see it, is this: Snowden has revealed secrets and goings on that have deeply embarrassed many governments, politicians, big business, speculators of various kinds, etc. and garnered him a seriously inconvenient posy of very powerful enemies. They will use every trick, legal or not, to stop his memories from coming out. At the very least, their publication might bring his actions, the ones that got him an indefinite stay in Russia, back into public awareness, the least thing those powerful actors want to see happen. Besides, what other secrets might Snowden reveal in his memoirs?

The real question is: what will happen when, if ever, Putin lets him go of his hand?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1956331 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

Just curious, what court is the US going to sue in? Snowden is in Russia – are they going to sue there? Also, by suing, are they claiming ownership over the material in the memoir, that is, are they admitting that what Snowden has revealed is in fact true?

Interesting point of view.
      I hope more information will come forward.
      Are there many people believing what Snowden published is untrue?
      Will have to wait.

PGP-ID=0x(askforit)

• #1956334 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Fred: I think this quotation might cover the essence of your question: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” Upton Sinclair.
        Or, perhaps one might add, to get him to accept wrongdoing when evidence of his misdeeds comes out in public, for all to see. And I would include in that also “pretty raw” evidence, as in the case of those Wikileaks. Not exactly evidence ready for trials by jury, but a prompting for further investigation leading, when necessary, to such trials actually taking place. Not that I’ve noticed that many of these are now taking place.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #1956474 Reply

Fred
          AskWoody Plus

About ten days ago it became public that the Dutch AIVD/MIVD I.T.-secretservices  were involved in the Stuxnet attack of the Iranian nucleair plants; the physical part of bringing in the destructive software by infiltrating. . It’s a bit difficult now to deny for other countries in the west that they weren’t involved. This was an act of a destructive offence in an other souvereign country.

I think it is good that investigating journalists are making this public.

In Holland we have now a new digital surveilance law since last year, and already a couple of times the controling/checking supervision bureau have complained that this spying in is not as was intended by the regulations.

Thats why the email and digital services here are far less to be trusted than the German or Swiss email and internet service providers. Those laws and actual jurisprudention is more tight to regulations.

PGP-ID=0x(askforit)

• #1956480 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus
    • #1956717 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

As one can reads in the first of those two interesting articles, thanks to the link provided by Fred:

The DoJ published a press release about the situation and alleged that Snowden published his book without “submitting it to the agencies for pre-publication review.” As such, the book and his “public speeches on intelligence-related matters are in violation of his non-disclosure agreements.” Now, instead of stopping book sales or restricting the memoir in the U.S., the agency said that it will recover all the proceeds that stem from sales.

After the news broke, cryptocurrency supporters asked Snowden on social media to accept bitcoin for book payments. “Hey Snowden – is there a way I can buy your book with bitcoin to avoid this DoJ nonsense?” asked Erik Voorhees. “I’ll buy a copy with Bitcoin — S*** the U.S. government,”

• #1956956 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Just curious, what court is the US going to sue in?

It is simple. US court of course. Snowden doesn’t have to be present.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Geo
    • #1956994 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

It’s dark out there;
      Finally Jeanne d’Arc become a saint.
      She was canonized May 16, 1920, by Pope Benedict XV.
      Contemporaine_afb_jeanne_d_arc
      🙂

PGP-ID=0x(askforit)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Fred.
      Attachments:
    • #1957027 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

[@]Alex5723 just for the record….
      see postnr: #1956278  MrJimPhelps wrote: “Just curious, what court is the US going to sue in?”

PGP-ID=0x(askforit)

• #1958848 Reply

isabellz3
      AskWoody Lounger

He’s a really great guy, who made everything he could for the freedom of the Internet.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Edward Snowdens memoirs forbidden?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.