News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Email programs – free

Posted on WScurious Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        WScurious
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi

• #1064169 Reply
        WSTonyE
        AskWoody Lounger

Thunderbird is a free (open source) email application. For more details see Thunderbird 2 Features.

• #1064170 Reply
          WScurious
          AskWoody Lounger

Thank you, Tony. For various reasons, I would like to be able to get a program that will work with IE. (Have a few people who are resistant to change who work with me.)

Curious

• #1064174 Reply
            WScbaldrey
            AskWoody Lounger

When you say you’d like a program that works with IE, what do you mean?

I’ve had Thunderbird installed along side both Firefox and Internet Explorer. IE was able to send a mailto link into Thunderbird without hassle. Conversely, Thunderbird was able to send an HTTP link to either IE or Firefox, depending on which browser was set to handle the links by the OS.

• #1064178 Reply
              WScurious
              AskWoody Lounger

That’s my ignorance. I’ve only used one browser all my computing life. Shall look at your links.

Thanks, Chris.

• #1064171 Reply
        DaveA
        AskWoody_MVP

What is wrong with Outlook Express, you already have it?

DaveA I am so far behind, I think I am First
        Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

• #1064172 Reply
          WScurious
          AskWoody Lounger

Dave, I

• #1064180 Reply
            WSJohnBF
            AskWoody Lounger

You may be confusing Outlook, which is a mail client and personal information manager with many features, with Outlook Express, which is a mail client and newsreader only.

From some of your other comments, including your reply to Chris Baldrey, you also appear to be talking about netmail services accessed through a web browser, rather than an email client such as ThunderBird, Eudora, Outlook Express, and others. An email client can send and receive mail without any web browser, but it requires some setup to specify the inbound and outbound mail service. Webmail interfaces are mostly designed by the email address provider, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, and many many more, and are accessed though a browser. Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Email programs – free

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.