News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • End of Year Backup Time

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tech Accessibility End of Year Backup Time

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

geekdom 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

It’s time to make a special backup for end of year.

This special backup might be the usual backup procedure, but should include special information for the whole year. It’s much easier to locate important information, financial information, medical information, business information for the year if stored on a separate disk and as part of your regular backup routine including a system image.

This backup is your holiday gift to yourself and this gift is one you will appreciate.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242663 Reply

Pepsiboy
      AskWoody Lounger

Yup, last night I installed the security only updates (All  seems to be OK.) and did complete system back  up on both of our machines (Like I usually do after updates.) and this morning all seems to be well with them.

Dave

• #242667 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Yep. For those of us who tell others to backup, and we know that we should backup but don’t ourselves backup, it’s definitely time to backup! We’ll have at least one good backup per year at this rate!

Actually, although one good backup per year won’t recover a lot of your data, it will at least provide a way for you to get up and running again should your hard drive crash. If that’s all you have, you will be glad you have it.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242760 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks, geekdom, for the reminder. Normally, my backup interval depends on how much that is new (emails, installed software, data files, PPT and PDF documents and software source files, etc.), mostly related to my work, has probably accumulated on the hard disk since I made the last one. I make backups to external HDs with much the same frequency both for the Windows 7 PC and for the Mac: about once every two months, on average. Although I think that it would be safer to make one every time before installing the monthly patches. And to make a complete confession: I tend not make ISO images of the whole disk. Now I’m starting to suspect that I might like to live dangerously.

• #243624 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

It’s not too late. Make your first of the year backup now.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: End of Year Backup Time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.