News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Enlarging Windows Live Mail

Posted on Irene R Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Enlarging Windows Live Mail

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Irene R
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a visual impairment and need to increase the size of the Inbox in Windows Live Mail, using Windows 7. I can enlarge each individual message once the email is opened by Ctrl+.
        I also need the to enlarge the information at the top toolbar where there are icons that are for delete, Reply, Forward, to name a few.
        Any suggestions?

• #2277024 Reply
        anonymous

Ease of use includes a text reader. You could also increase the text size (dpi). A lower resolution will also make the screen easier to read.

• #2277077 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Hello Irene R!

I admit to knowing nothing about Windows Live Mail, or any accessibility options it may have. Personally, I use Thunderbird… and in Options I can specify what font and what size to use. You might check if Windows Live Mail has similar options. Windows Live Mail is no longer supported. I know it is most comfortable using what is familiar with you…

Given that I no longer have a Windows 7 machine to double check myself, I’ll cover what I do remember…

You don’t mention what, if anything, you are doing to make reading your screen easier for yourself, in general. Windows 7, in the Ease of Access Center, has a magnifier. You can click Start, and then type Magnifier. It can be pinned to your task bar. You need Aero for full-screen mode, or lens mode. Docked mode should be available without Aero.

In full screen mode, everything is magnified. You probably won’t see everything on your screen at the same time. In lens mode, the area around the mouse pointer is magnified, and it moves with your mouse. In docked mode, only a portion of the screen is magnified, leaving the rest of your desktop unchanged. That might be useful if you’d like to just magnify the Live Mail window.

Details on how to use Magnifier for Windows 7 can still be found at Microsoft Support. Select Product Version (they still have Windows 7 listed).

When I started, in XP, I used OneLoupe… and it is still available. No installation is needed. If placed on the desktop it is readily accessed as needed.

There is also a utility called Magnifixer, which supports dual monitor setups, and can invert the image, follow caret position, make the window transparent, copy the magnified image to the clipboard, add cross-hairs, color display (HTML or RGB mode), and more.

It takes some experimentation to find what works best for you… but these are the simplest, free, options that I’m aware of. Let us know if anything does work… and if it doesn’t, well, there are other options as well, including screen readers, physical screen magnifiers, etc. There is a screen reader, Narrator, in Windows 7, but as I remember, it didn’t work well with, or inside, other programs.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Enlarging Windows Live Mail

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.