News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Enormous number of Microsoft Catalog entries are dated July 13 — tomorrow!

Home Forums AskWoody blog Enormous number of Microsoft Catalog entries are dated July 13 — tomorrow!

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  moonbear 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Quick. While it’s still July 12. Take a look at the Microsoft Catalog and see how many entries have a “Last Update” entry of July 13.
      [See the full post at: Enormous number of Microsoft Catalog entries are dated July 13 — tomorrow!]

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #203229 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Maybe someone’s set the date reference to a different landmark/timezone…?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #203235 Reply

alpha128
        AskWoody Lounger

Maybe someone’s set the date reference to a different landmark/timezone…?

Or maybe Microsoft needs to stop calling these “Security and Quality Rollups”

“Security and Poor Quality Rollups” anyone?

• #203299 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yeah,I wondered if it was a UTC timestamp, but I don’t recall seeing a mass change like that.

Checking again this morning (US time), I see the stamps haven’t changed .. and I have no idea what happened.

• #203306 Reply

witp
        AskWoody Lounger

I think time travel of patches is the most probable cause..

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #203398 Reply

HiFlyer
          AskWoody Plus

witp

Back to the Future Marty.

• #203403 Reply

BobbyB
            AskWoody Lounger

While I like a good old “Time Travel” theory, I am going to go with “Plausible denial” conspiratorial take.
            “What do you mean that patch “Bricked” your Machine on the 12th? it didn’t come out until the 13th” 😉

• #203247 Reply

PerthMike
      AskWoody Plus

Happy Friday the 13th. 🙂

No matter where you go, there you are.

• #203248 Reply

samak
      AskWoody Plus

Given the quality of the patches, Friday 13th seems to be the appropriate date.

W7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, Office 2010, Group B, non-techie

• #203363 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

My thoughts exactly!

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #203249 Reply

mbhelwig
      AskWoody Lounger

JULY UPDATES

2018-07-11 — KB4338818 (Monthly Rollup) offered this morning.

THE NETWORK DRIVER PROBLEM STILL REMAINS according to MS info

NOT INSTALLED

2018-07-13 — KB4338818 (Monthly Rollup) REMOVED THIS AFTERNOON !!!!!!!!!!!

Something strange is going on — possibly called Microsoft ?????????????????

mbhelwig

• #203256 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

The old saying, ‘the second mouse gets the cheese’ springs to mind when dealing with Microsoft patches.. 😉

Microsoft mousetrap!

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #203265 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Regarding the issue of the networking bugs:  A support case was opened and the word came back that this primarily impacts those with virtualization/VMware.  If you aren’t running that, you won’t be impacted.  VMware is a virtualization platform.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #203271 Reply

anonymous

RE:
        “Something strange is going on — possibly called Microsoft ?????????????????”

I’ve called them a few things this week already, none of which are permitted in this forum 😛

• #203280 Reply

anonymous

“Patches you can trust….”

Interesting… I cannot remember the last time I trusted a Microshaft patch.

• #203287 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Plus

Running Windows 8.1 & it’s after 4:30 AM Central time. I checked Windows Update via Control Panel & via the PC Settings app under Update and recovery. Anything not Windows Defender, Silverlight & KB3080109 is dated 07/09/18 in the app. In Control Panel, they’re dated 07/10/18. Will check both later today to see if they change to 07/13/18. BTW, I’m on Group A, so I usually don’t download from the Microsoft Catalog. Not looking now… because I trust Woody!

P.S.: I trust Susan the Patch Lady too. What she said…

A support case was opened and the word came back that this primarily impacts those with virtualization/VMware.  If you aren’t running that, you won’t be impacted.  VMware is a virtualization platform.

I’m not running VMware or Hyper-V, I’m on Windows 8.1 Home.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, now in Group B!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #203300 Reply

anonymous

Since it’s Friday the 13th you know something will go wrong with these updates.

• #203364 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Yeah, and MS will assume they have a good excuse.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #203307 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

All Tuesday’s patches were re-dated to July 13, except .NET 4.7.2 and Office

never saw such mass date revision before
      maybe they heard the complaints abouts dates not matching actual release dates 🙂

• #203324 Reply

Elrod
      AskWoody Plus

Maybe these July 13th patches will install perfectly, in a sort of reverse-Friday-the-13th scenario.  MS patches have worked so poorly every other day.  Maybe these patches are the ones that will install perfectly on this day only.

Then again, maybe someone has already disproved this theory.

Group "L": Linux Mint

• #203456 Reply

anonymous

Huh, I’ve been offered KB4056254 and KB4023057 in addition to the feature update, Flash security update and MSRT. I think they’re annoyed I keep blocking 1803. 😛

Win10 Home, network set to metered, ooooolllddd AMD CPU

• #203519 Reply

moonbear
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows 7 Group A. As of 10:20 am this morning all of the patches I’m offered in WU (July rollup, .net rollup, msrt) are all still dated July 10th with only the msrt being checked for download & install. I have hidden the .net 4.7.2 update and kb2952664.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Enormous number of Microsoft Catalog entries are dated July 13 — tomorrow!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.