News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Enough for now

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Enough for now

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Razz 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Razz
      AskWoody Plus

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/#post-1951394

Some expressed interest in what I did with these.

Having considered the advice provided at Askwoody I had determined upgrading to Pro would be the best course of action, but lucky I delayed it as the Pause option and wushowhide made that idea redundant.

I ended up upgrading as follows:

ASUS GL702V Intel i7 Win 10 Home 1607 64 bit

According to the Patch lady much of the upgrades were no longer available from WU so I started standalone installing the first batch and it did not work so I decided to run the updater and see what transpired.

Note metering cxn is not an option in this situation. Because it was so out of date it was also displaying a 0x8000ffff error. I did not have wushowhide downloaded either.

This beast of a machine installed the updates in under an hour. SFC and DISM rectified the integrity violations detected (as attached). It is now on Win 10 home 1903 OS Build 18362.476 the Nov update. Pause is in place and metered connection and wushowhide ready for next MS DEFCON clearance.

Nothing to complain about (yet), although I am just getting acquainted with Win 10 and have encountered some inefficient additional steps compared to Win 7. C’est Seattle.

LENOVO Yoga 310 Intel Celeron Win 10 Home 1703 64 bit

Same story as the ASUS with metering, but this time it had a 1903 installation failure and used several cycles of wushowhide and metering connections when available. It isn’t a clean process having to check if Microsoft is slipping something passed you during these cycles of reboots. If you have selected Show hidden updates in wushowhide and are not satisfied you cannot go back to Hide Updates, the tool has to be rerun.

The end result was the exact same integrity violations as the ASUS and corrected with SFC and DISM. But this time I ended up with 1903 OS Build 18362.535 which is the latest Dec 10 update. I am obviously not used to Win 10 so when I look at the Update history here it just shows 1 Feature Update, no real history. Perhaps going from 1703 to 1903 is just regarded as one cumulative update – BUT, there were loads of files in the queue and I did hide a 2019-12. When I look at the Installed updates it is just KB4524569 which I believe is a Service Stack update and KB4530684.

The updating process took forever and I end up having to go right through Patch Tuesday and I left it work over night. Not surprising *.535 installed then.

ACER E1-572 Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I had reinstalled the Win 8.1 I previously had on this with help from my friends here. No issues to report just 8.1 quirks.

I have started to use Macrium Reflect too, what a difference that is; 32 minutes and the backup is done, compared to the stuff  that Windows Backup was. Extraordinary.

Also across all of these I have neutralized telemetry as best advised. Later I will make some browser and VPN setup changes. But as regards safeguarding work information I will be moving over to Apple and the idea of Linux has gone out the window.

Thanks again for all the support on here.

ACER E1-572 8GB RAM Intel Core i7 64-bit Win 8.1 Home Premium Office 2013.
      ASUS GL702VS 24GB RAM Intel Core i7 64 bit Win 10 Home 1903 Office 2016.
      LENOVO Yoga 310 4GB RAM Intel Celeron 64-bit Win 10 Home 1903.

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Enough for now

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.