News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Enterprise solutions for remote support

Posted on Sheldon88 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Enterprise solutions for remote support

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Sheldon88
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello everyone,

I hope I’m writing in the right section of the forum.

My company is evaluating different remote support tools to be used by our suppliers. It’s important for us to guarantee the security of our network and of the file servers, so the ICT governance proposed two solutions: VPN+VNC or VPN Connect.

What do you believe about them? Are you thinking to something better?

Thanks in advance.

• #2123603 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

What sort of support? User or server?
        Do you want to perform side by side or just take over a machine without the user?
        As much info as you can please.

cheers, Paul

• #2168421 Reply
        Rydan
        AskWoody Lounger

Last month I saw some VNC articles popup due to a Kaspersky research; didn’t look that good (do a  websearch)
        There are many VPN out there, VPN Connect (oracle cloud?) ; several options there already.
        As PaulT said, really depends on your current infra and what you want to accomplish.
        And how secure you want it (a drop and collect station for example).

• #2169286 Reply
        Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t know if it still does but VNC used to have the heartbeat security vulnerability. We have been using an old licensed version of teamviewer but it looks like we are going to a more secure system called Connectwise. It involves installing an agent to run on any system that needs it, then you log into a web site and you can access any system in your organization that is running the agent.

Do you really need to give outsiders access to your entire network or just to access a certain system? VPN may not be needed.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Enterprise solutions for remote support

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.