News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • errant degrag

Posted on WSpischi Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        WSpischi
        AskWoody Lounger

I don’t run maintenance utilities as often as I should so I ran scandisk (thorough) then defrag. The defrag ran all night, never completing its duty. I finally turned it off this morning. Any ideas on what I should do to correct this?
        Patricia

• #510466 Reply
        WSPrestonK
        AskWoody Lounger

Make sure the screen saver is turned off. Then be sure other programs running in the background are off. Do this by pressing CNTRL-ALT-DEL together to get the task list and turn off all except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER.EXE

HTH
        Preston

• #510505 Reply
          WSPhil Rabichow
          AskWoody Lounger

And pause task scheduler, in case something is scheduled to start up & interfere. And don’t use any power management (i.e. right click desktop/Properties/Screen Saver/Settings & make sure everything is set to “Always On”. Do the same thing when you make backups or run scandisk.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: errant degrag

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.