News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Error 80073712

Posted on Larry53715 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Error 80073712

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

mledman 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Larry53715
      AskWoody Lounger

Cannot install 2019-02 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4487078)

or

2019-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4486563)

I keep getting the above error with either one or both.  I have tried:

Windows update troubleshooter

Windows servicing stack windows6.1-kb3177467-v2-x64

MS Fixit 50202

The procedure found here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-update-error-80073712-on-windows-7/a2a9a4a5-4800-46b7-94dc-5841bd611185

I have tried the stand alone package for the Security rollup and that also failed.  Any other updates install without issues.  I believe I have tried most of the fixes out there for this error.

Not sure what else I can do other than wait for the OK to install the March updates and hope they work.

Any other suggestions appreciated.  Thanks

• #340063 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Have you tried running SFC?
      Have you tried running DISM?

If you have tried both, please enumerate what else you’ve tried so we don’t waste time researching and suggesting things that you know won’t work.

--Joe

• #340064 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

May I add, run “chkdsk /f” as well.

• #341074 Reply

Larry53715
      AskWoody Lounger

Last night, I ran scannow and it found and corrected some of the errors.  Today I tried installing 2 of the newer patches.  The MSRT installed without issue, however again I received the same error for the newest NET framework rollup.

I listed 5 things I have already tried as suggested by researching this error code.  Once again they are:

1.  Windows update troubleshooter

2.  Windows servicing stack windows6.1-kb3177467-v2-x64

3.  MS Fixit 50202

4.  The procedure found here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-update-error-80073712-on-windows-7/a2a9a4a5-4800-46b7-94dc-5841bd611185

5.  I have tried the stand alone package for the Security rollup and that also failed.  Any other updates install without issues.  I believe I have tried most of the fixes out there for this error.

6.  I have also installed the Windows update readiness tool which did not help.

I will run the chkdsk sometime later.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #341255 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

Have you tried running DISM?

If DISM ran successfully, scannow may find more errors.

Mark

• #341532 Reply

Larry53715
      AskWoody Lounger

Not sure how I am supposed to run DISM.  I thought this was a tool for checking images.  I have run a program called DISM++, but assume it is not the same thing.  I searched for DISM and found DISM.exe and ran it as admin.  I was over in a split second with no report.  If I put DISM into an elevated command prompt, it appears I am supposed to add a switch and I do not know what to use.

• #341658 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

Not sure how I am supposed to run DISM

I messed up.  DISM is used on Windows 8.1 and newer.

Apologies

Mark

• #341817 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

Last night, I ran scannow and it found and corrected some of the errors.

Try running scannow again.  Sometimes fixing some errors allows more to be corrected.

Mark

• #341987 Reply

Larry53715
      AskWoody Lounger

Ran sfc again and chkdsk and this did not help.  Sensing that this was a lost cause, I restored an older image where I knew I was not having update issues rather than a OS reinstall.  After doing so, all of the Feb updates installed without issue.  This backup did not load the ramdisk I installed in order to try and speed up browsing so this might have been the issue.  When I got things reasonably close to what I had, I made another image.  Thanks for all suggestions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #342363 Reply

mledman
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for posting your solution.  Aren’t images grand!

Mark

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Error 80073712

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.