News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• error message

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » error message

Author
    Topic

For about the past month I have been receiving MANY error messages on my Dell Precision 3630 Tower relating to blocking access to some registry files or executables.  Most programs seem to run properly, but I am having major problems with upgrading some programs like Freemake.

Do I have to revert to an earlier version of Windows 10, or something else, or what? 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What are the exact error messages?  A lot of problems are fixed by doing a system backup if possible and doing an over-the-top reinstall of the current windows version, with the keep apps and data setting on.  This should work without losing much data.

Windows Update keeps giving me download errors

Antivirus software can block file access.  Update your antivirus and restart.  If the problems continue, check the support forum for your antivirus, once you find specific error messages.

-BB

1 user thanked author for this post.

to anonymous:

My main virus protection is from MalwareBytes (Paid version).  I may have Windows Defender running also.

Did you turn on controlled folder access or enable ransomware protection?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.

I may have – perhaps in response to a recent Windows Secrets article.  Should I undue these somehow?

What you describe is a side effect of enabling controlled folder access. I got fed up with all the access problems and I gave up and turned that off.

--Joe

Thanks.  I just turned it off; now let’s see what effect it has.

Seems to have stopped the messages.  Am I now much more susceptible to ransomware?

My original input was caused by:

(1)  annoyance at the constant “error” messages, and

(2) my inability to get an update “Freemake” to convert files that it converted easily a couple of years ago.

Do you know if there could have been an interaction here?  [Trying Freemake with the same files still does not work, after removing the action on the controlled folder access.]

I’ve not had any issues and I turned that off well over a year ago. OTOH, I am careful about where I go, what I download, and what I open.

Regular image backups are a must.

--Joe

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: error message

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.