News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Eudora 7.0.1.9 filter anomaly

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Trainpacer
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

Just less than 2 years ago, member @GoneToPlaid helped AlexCris recover from a mailbox corruption when one of her mailboxes exceeded 32MB. I read all of your exchange with her, and identified that I too had a mailbox exceed limit problem. It is not a junk folder, but is a valuable mailbox that I want to preserve.  The limit was exceeded during the day on April 30, and I have received only a few messages that are in the over limit stage.  I culled many dozens of messages from the mailbox to reduce its size; but the indicated size of the mailbox shown in the file directory persists at the inflated size (greater than 32 MB) it reached before selected messages were transferred out.

I copied and removed to a different location outside of Eudora the excess size mailbox and the corresponding toc file. That allows Eudora to operate properly. When I opened Eudora after the files removal, a message told me that 6 filters had been changed, and did I want to send messages to the “in’ mail box? I selected “yes” and the incoming messages showed up in the in mailbox.

Here is my problem that differs now from what Alexcris presented. I created a new mailbox with a slightly different name to differentiate similar new mail I will receive from the previous similar email that I want to preserve. I created a filter to route selected new incoming email to a unique mailbox, and filtered two emails as a test. The 2 emails were filtered back into the “in” mailbox, but did not filter to and appear at the designated mailbox that Eudora created per the manually created filter. So, is it possible that Eudora created a “super” but hidden filter that overrides the manually created filter that does not work as expected? I inspected the list of filters shown at the Tools menu. I do not see listed a Eudora created filter that resulted from my answer to change the filters that were orphaned. I do see the manually creeated filter that (apparently) is being superceded.

Has any body had and solved a problem like this?

Trainpacer

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You may have an existing filter that runs first and changing the filter order may be all you need to do.

cheers, Paul

Trainpacer
          AskWoody Lounger

Paul,

A reasonable suggestion. But, I had inspected the filters order and saw none that accounted for the results I experienced. I did not find any new filters that corresponded to anything that Eudora auto created after removal of a previously available mailbox that had filters; and the newly created mailbox had no pre-existing filters. So, I am still looking for an explanation or solution

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

I too once had a similar issue in which emails were supposed to get placed in one mailbox yet immediately got moved to another.

Here is an example for how to fix the issue if you have one simple filter for @YYY.com and another filter for @ZZZ.com:

Any Header contains @YYY.com unless Header From: contains @ZZZ.com

The above might point you in the right direction in terms of your various simple filters.

Trainpacer
          AskWoody Lounger

@GoneToPlaid,

I diagnosed an excess sized mailbox problem by investigating the criteria that you wrote in reply to Alexcris nearly two years ago. A mailbox I had used for 15 years just exceeded 2MB last week. I copied the messages contents for preservation and removed that mailbox and its companion .toc, after which the absence of those files caused Eudora to report that 6 filters were dis-associated.  I then removed a substantial amount of messages from the excess sized mailbox, expecting its reported file size to be less than 2 MB.  Despite reducing the message content of the mailbox, the indicated size of the file remained unchanged, i.e. still in excess of 2 MB.

Does Eudora not dynamically contract a mailbox file size when messages content is reduced? If Eudora identifies a mailbox size as greater than 2MB, is it not possible to “lower” the reported file size to less than 2MB in order to restore the mailbox functionality?

GoneToPlaid
            AskWoody Plus

Eudora also has a limit of 32767 messages within a mailbox. This is in addition to the limit that a mailbox may not be larger than 2GB in size.

I am guessing that you meant to say that the mailbox is still larger than 2GB and not 2MB?

The following assumes that you have saved a backup copy of the mailbox somewhere else in case anything goes wrong…

MBX files are text files. You can open a MBX file in a good text editor  such as Editpad. FYI, the first line of each email starts with this “From ???@???” (without quotes). In Editpad, scroll to the end of the file. Are there a lot of empty lines at the end of the file? If yes, scroll up in Editpad until you find the first line at the end of your messages which is all white space. You might have to scroll up a considerable amount to find the first line of white space at the end of all of your messages. Click on the beginning of the line to put the caret at the beginning of the line. Now type Ctrl-Shift-End to highlight all of the empty lines which follow this line, all the way to the end of the file. Now type Delete to remove all of these lines of white space. Save the file. The file size will now be smaller. Now delete the associated TOC file. Eudora will automatically create a new TOC file for any MBX file which does not have an associated TOC.

Trainpacer
              AskWoody Lounger

@GoneToPlaid,

Yes, all instances of 2 “MB” I wrote were intended to be 2 “GB”.  The file size is 2,100,608 Kb. I had obtained EditPad per your recommendation to Alexcris. My excess size mailbox has no vacant “white” space at the end of the file.

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Alrighty then. In Editpad, you will have split the MBX file into two files, each of which contains roughly half of the emails, and save the first half and the second half as MBX files with different file names. I have been up for 20 hours and I am way too exhausted to explain how to do this. I think that others in response to my original thread talked about how to do this.

Eudora 7.1.0.9 runs amok with 2M+ copies of same email!

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Eudora 7.0.1.9 filter anomaly

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.