News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 1903 Event Viewer – VSS Events 8193 and 13

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update 1903 Event Viewer – VSS Events 8193 and 13

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Ever since installing v1903, my Event Viewer logs these 2 VSS Events twice each at shutdown.

Doesn’t throw any error notice. As mentioned it does seem to prevent System Restore from automatically running but not from creating manually.

Discussed here at Ten Forums with suggestion to run a script before shutdown, but nothing from MS.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/133273-vss-errors-8193-13-a.html

Anyone else with this issue?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
      • #2110082 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Have these caused any problem in the 8 months since you reported them at that other place (347 posts ago)?

They do seem common on 1903: VSS Event Log Errors: Event IDs 8193 and 13

I get them occasionally on 1909, but just 3 this year and 30 last year. I rarely shutdown though.

My system restore does seem to run OK automatically.

Does the “stop cryptsvc” file/task eliminate them?

Is it worth worrying about?

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2110157 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Look completely harmless to me – I would expect things not to start mid-shutdown.

cheers, Paul

• #2111290 Reply
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Have these caused any problem in the 8 months since you reported them at that other place (347 posts ago)?

I have never reported on this until now.  Only recently (November) moved from 1803 to 1903, but that is the day these Events started to show up and every shut down since.

Look completely harmless to me – I would expect things not to start mid-shutdown

Never occurred in any previous version of Windows 10.

The known residual issue is that Windows Restore does not always automatically run like it use to.  May not be a bid deal but something is not functioning as it should.

• #2111299 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

I have never reported on this until now.  Only recently (November) moved from 1803 to 1903, but that is the day these Events started to show up and every shut down since.

Sorry. When you said, “Discussed here at Ten Forums …” I thought you meant by you, as it seemed almost identical.

Did you try the script from there?

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2111313 Reply
            Tex265
            AskWoody Plus

No problem, just wanted to clarify it is a recent problem related to 1903.

Did you try the script from there?

No have not.  That is beyond my comfort zone, but those that have say that it stops the Events from appearing but no one knows why other than some references in the Events themselves.

Doesn’t seem reasonable that MS expects users to create then have to run a script before every computer shut down.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            b
        • #2111316 Reply
          anonymous

My experience of Event Viewer was that the installation (upgrade) to versions 1809 and then 1903 wiped some of the contents of Event Viewer such that a particular event only appeared from the installation date even though my notes showed that I had seen it before.  I tried to see if there was a pattern but I gave up.  Life is just too short…

I have not yet moved to v1909.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 1903 Event Viewer – VSS Events 8193 and 13

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.