News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Excel 2010 new windowing problem

Posted on rlhenne Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2010 and earlier for PC Excel 2010 new windowing problem

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        rlhenne
        AskWoody Plus

I’m having a new and weird problem with MS Excel 2010…when I start Excel, it comes up maximized (not full screen, just maximized), and everything works properly. However, if I click the icon at the top right to go windowed, all I get is a single title bar on the screen that only says “Microsoft Excel” and has the three upper right icons for Minimize, Maximize, and Close (see attached screen snip). Maximizing returns me to where I was, Minimize works fine as well.

I verified that this only happens in Excel, not in other Office 2010 applications. I ran a “repair” to no avail. I thought it might be due to my recent install of a new pen tablet driver and software, but I uninstalled that, rebooted, etc. with no success. No (very) recent Office 2010 updates either. Can’t find anything similar via Google.

I can still have multiple windows within Excel, so it’s not a critical problem, just very annoying as I can’t see other apps or cut and paste across apps with full visibility!

• #2279944 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

You mean like this?

excel2010titlebaronly

Yeah, seen that a lot among my customers.  Excel thinks we did that intentionally (it’s a bug triggered by a screen resolution switch).

Windows remembers last used locations and sizes of all programs.  To fix this takes a steady hand/mouse.  If you hover your mouse on the lower right corner, you should see a diagonal double ended arrow indicating you can resize the window.  Click and drag and enlarge the window from the title bar only.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

Attachments:
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2280304 Reply
        rlhenne
        AskWoody Plus

It wasn’t the screen resolution thing, though that’s great to know!

Actually, I found the problem. It was, as I suspected, due to the pen tablet installation. Somehow Excel thought that Windows 10 was in Tablet mode, even though it wasn’t, hence always opened maximized. (Why it did the strange thing when I tried to go windowed I still can’t explain). I put it in and out of Tablet mode a couple of times and the problem went away!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2280314 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I say, that excel “remebers” last window size and position.
        @NetDef wrote it correctly. You should try to resize windowed excel. Then close it. It should reapprear in the size you closed it. Tablet mode could have change that somehow, but you should be able to reproduce the original size.

1. resize windowed aplliceation as desired.
        2. close the application
        3. relaunch the application (excel, word, …)
        4. window will apprear in the size, you closed it. (even maximized, if you did so)

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Excel 2010 new windowing problem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.