News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Excel F5 (Go to) — how to remove entries

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Questions: Microsoft Office Excel F5 (Go to) — how to remove entries

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

When I press F5, this box (below) appears. I have no idea how the first 4 items got in this box. I know they reference a cell or an expanse of cells. I didn’t purposely put them there. But, I must have done something for them to appear. Does anyone have any idea how one puts a cell reference in the Go To list, like the ones here?

How do I remove them? I don’t want them there.

I recognize all of the others, because I set them up in the Name Manager so they are OK. But, the first 4 — what action put them there? (I ask because I might want to purposely put a cell reference in this list one day) And how do I remove unwanted cell references from this Go to box??

Excel-F5

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Go to tab “Formulas”
        There is “Name manager”

manager

Delete unwanted entries in the list, that will appear.
        Sorry for czech localisation, but you will understand 🙂

names

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

WCHS
          AskWoody Plus

I don’t think I made my question clear. (No problem with the Czech, though)

Here is the F5 Go To box. There are two cell locations listed. They have no names, just the reference to row and column ($D$47, for example).
          Contents-of-F5-Go-To

Here is the Name Manager dialogue box. There is nothing in it. If the cell locations listed in the F5 Go To box were listed here, I can see how I could do a deletion, but there is nothing in the Name Manager dialogue box.
          Name-Manager

I don’t want $D$47 or $B$44 to be in the F5 Go To box anymore. How do I get rid of them?

Both of these cell locations are nothing that I want to name and keep. They are simply one-time references to find my way around in a very long Excel file that I am editing. I want to save the file after editing, but I do not want the info in the F5 Go To box to be saved along with the document, since I needed those cell references only for this one edit.

doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I set them up in the Name Manager so they are OK.

I apologize for not understanding completely, you wrote it in your previous post 🤦‍♂️
            Interesting issue, it seems like you cant get rid of it.

There is an Application.PreviousSelections property that holds (up to) the last 4 cells used in a Goto command.

However, it seems there is no way to clear or delete the list, or do anytthing with it except query the addresses – so the only way to clear it is to close and re-open the workbook…

https://www.ozgrid.com/forum/index.php?thread/135256-clear-or-reset-goto-history/

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/go-to-f5-how-to-delete-unwanted-entries-in-the-reference-list/m-p/1636631

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

WCHS
              AskWoody Plus

Well, it looks like someone else has encountered this same problem. Closing and re-opening the workbook isn’t the solution here because I will lose the editing that I have done. It appears that I will have to name the locations, even though they are needed only for 1 editing session, which will allow me to delete them later.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

I don’t have Excel. In some applications that I have I can just Select (left-click) an entry, and tap the Delete key.

WCHS
          AskWoody Plus

I don’t have Excel. In some applications that I have I can just Select (left-click) an entry, and tap the Delete key.

That doesn’t work. I’ve tried that and also have tried Backspace. No dice.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Excel F5 (Go to) — how to remove entries

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.