News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Excel has found a problem and needs to close down

Posted on WSHowardC Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Excel and spreadsheet help Excel has found a problem and needs to close down

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  zeddy 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

WSHowardC
      AskWoody Lounger

I am using office 2013 (64 bit) at work and Windows 10.

From time to time when I open an Excel file, Excel comes up with a message “Excel has found a problem and needs to close down”

It has happened to several files that I wanted open lately
      It is rather frustrating and I do not know what is causing this. I have one workbook in xlstart and not sure if this could be the cause or one of my add-ins such as “ASAP” , “Analysis Toolpak-VBA” etc

It would be appreciated if someone could kindly assist me on how to resolve this problem

• #1593629 Reply

zeddy
      AskWoody_MVP

Hi Howard

..this is a tricky problem to nail down, especially when it happens when you are opening the same file. Excel occasionally seems to need to ‘catch it’s breath’ when opening a file: there are lots of things going on, especially with files that have vba code. Some parts of Excel are ‘impatient’ while other Excel tasks ‘under-the-hood’ are still executing.
      We would need to know whether the file you are working with has auto_open code, or workbook_opencode, (or both)

zeddy

• #1593647 Reply

WSHowardC
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Zeddy

Thanks for the reply

It is at the time of manually selecting the file/files to open that Excel shuts down

None of the files that I need to open has has auto_open code, or workbook_opencode

Regards

Howard

• #1593682 Reply

Maudibe
      AskWoody_MVP

Howard,

From an IT standpoint, it is far better to just do an Office repair instead of attempting to speculate what may be causing the issue. This is done from the control panel > Add Remove programs. It’s a painless process. Follow the instructions here:

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=9344

HTH,
      Maud

• #1593761 Reply

WSHowardC
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Maud

Will definitely do a repair

Howard

• #1593949 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

I am using office 2013 (64 bit)

If you still have a problem Howard, install the 32bit version of Office—that’s the recommended choice unless you have a specific need for x64. See here:
      Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Excel has found a problem and needs to close down

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.