News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Excel Year Display

Posted on WSJamie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        WSJamie
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m sure this is a simple question to answer – it’s just that it’s not easy to find answers in the MS help files and none of my reference books have the answer to this one.
        I’m somewhat new to using Excel 97 and need some help. I’m trying to create a spreadsheet of balances for a large number of accounts listing the amounts for several (up to 24) months at a time. The column headings for each column will be the month-year for the list of account balances. I’ve had no problem finding the cell format to select the month-year, however, I can’t seem to find a way to change the year display to a 4-digit format (Month-YYYY). Can someone tell me how to make this change?

Thanks.

• #510499 Reply
        WSgwhitfield
        AskWoody Lounger

Format, Cells; select Custom (at the bottom of the list) and under “type” enter “yyyy”

• #510501 Reply
          WSJamie
          AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for your quick and perfect response.

• #510503 Reply
        WSGeneO
        AskWoody Lounger

Select your cells than go to Format / Cells. Select the Number tab and choose Custom in the Category box (at bottom). Enter mmmm-yyyy in the Type input box. This should do exactly what you’ve specified and add that format to your custom list.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Excel Year Display

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.