News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Eyestrain Generator: Light Grey Needs To Go

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Eyestrain Generator: Light Grey Needs To Go

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Lars220
        AskWoody Plus

First of all I would like to express full appreciation and thanks to Susan Bradley for the excellent job she is doing here at AskWoody website. I understand that a lot of changes and re-organizing are currently, and also in the past, have been taking place, and do take a considerable effort. I am only posting this as a type of “Wish List” that could be considered?
        My suggestion is also a request that hopefully something might be able to change concerning the light grey text on the light grey background that is hard to read for older tired eyes (such as mine). Would it be possible to change the light grey color to something darker and easier to see? What is the purpose of having light grey hard to read text on a different shade of light grey background? Too many Greys. Why not just make that hard to read text – invisble?
        It may just be me, but I sense that not enough people can read that light grey text, and that might be a reason those options are not used as much as they could be (?)
        The following websites have interesting information:

The Greys in UX Design

“… the Greys nudged content into different pitches of importance, … Grey text improves readability by a whopping 58%. However, you must choose your grey wisely when it comes to text. Very light greys against a white background can be difficult to read and also cause significant eye strain.”

Low-Contrast Text Is Not the Answer

“Low-contrast text may be trendy, but it is also illegible, undiscoverable, and inaccessible. Instead, consider more usable alternatives.”

Light-Grey

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Can’t promise anything, but let me check with my WordPress folks and we’ll see what we can do to increase the contrast.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
          SueW
          AskWoody Plus

Many thanks to Susan and her WordPress folks!  They did it 🙂

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B (SaS); Former 'Tech Weenie'
        Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

It may just be me, but I sense that not enough people can read that light grey text

You left out the most important thing. What browser and version of said browser are you using? Have you changed the preferences on the browser you use so you see a different color for visited or unvisited links?

What light gray? I don’t see any shade of gray. (I’m using Basilisk browser which is forked off of Fx 52 ESR by the developer of Pale Moon browser yet is kept fully up to date security wise) and which allows the user to have XUL extensions which later versions of Fx did away with and substituted bland, non-powerful junk instead).

Saturday-June-12-2021-145852001

[Moderator edit] replaced full post quote to make the post more readable. To quote a section of a post, highlight the text and click the Quote button.

SB9K
        AskWoody Lounger

@Mele20, the original color of those links is not green. The CSS for the site has them set to #bbb. That’s most decidedly light gray, and the even lighter gray background is #f4f4f4. So it appears your browser either overrides them by default, or you have custom link colors in appearance settings.

I don’t have any trouble with those grays on my IPS display, but I have to agree it’s not good design. I’d hate to try to read them on a display that doesn’t do color as well, like a TN.

Gaming Rig: Windows 8.1 Pro
        Work Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1
        Notebook (guinea pig): Whatever flavor of Linux I tried last
        File Server: TurnKey Linux
        Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry, if I wasn’t being clear. Since I got my first computer in 1999 and learned how to use it, I had Netscape set as my default browser, then Phoenix, then several Fx betas,and eventually Fx when it became available (in 2004 I think it was). IE was very inferior to Netscape and its successors and it was quite a ride using the Phoenix, Firebird, then Fx betas where even rough betas were so superior to Microsoft’s IE and configurability was so much greater even in the early years than for IE.

So, yes, I have changed link colors and whatever else was available to change that I wanted to change in browser Options from almost the beginning of using the internet over 20 years ago now. (I don’t use the default font for any browser….I always change it to the (at least for me) most readable font Verdana.

I have Dell Ultra Sharps as my monitors and since Dell first came out with them many years ago, and I got my first one, I would not want any other monitor (unless I got a Mac one day). They are outstanding and rival Mac monitors. I’m using a 24″ widescreen one to type this.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

The odd thing is that the writing on the grey bar at the top is darker and considerably easier to read than the writing in the bottom grey bar. I get the impression that if having a darker, more readable text is possible at the top, it couldn’t be all that hard to get the same thing at the bottom. In fact, the bottom grey bar is at variance with any other text on the page, that is invariably darker, sharper and easier on the eyes.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7). Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

3 users thanked author for this post.
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Well … It looks like my intervention, along with those of several others, has helped resolve this annoying problem in a satisfactory way.

(Don’t thank me; to me it is enough to know that I can be a real power for good here.)

(No emojis added, I hate those things.)

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7). Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Eyestrain Generator: Light Grey Needs To Go

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.