News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Facebook fined 5 Billion

Posted on Bluetrix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Facebook fined 5 Billion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bluetrix 4 months ago.

• Author

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Just watching the stock reports and they said FB has agreed to FTC’s  $5 Billion dollar fine for using members data without consent.  No confirmation in print yet.

A drop in the bucket for FB, a slap on the hand if you will.

One article is out   Click to read this full article. (Not much in it)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A Wall Street Journal report says the FTC has voted to approve a fine of about $5 billion for Facebook over privacy violations. The report Friday cites an unnamed person familiar with the matter.

Note:I have moved this Topic from Social Media to the Rants forum, politics are allowed here.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1874424 Reply

anonymous

Hopefully unnamed person is correctly reporting this action. If true finally some numeric value over the 100k mark, and that vote split is somewhat interesting or does that have real meaning for us.

• #1874463 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

There is more information here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/ftc-fines-facebook-5-billion-for-privacy-lapses.html

(The request to turn off the add blocker that pops up can be popped off by clicking on a button at the lower end of it, and so become able to read the article).

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1874464 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

I watched that report on the 5B fine on a news channel that has stock market news. They were reporting that even though FB got hit with the fine their stock was up. Ha! almost all stocks except for a few big pharma’s were up. (USA)

As for the split vote … political reporting stuff, kinda expected in the USA today. The link was the 1st one I found reporting it. Now  macrumors.com  is also quoting WSJ on:

The scandal revolved around data firm Cambridge Analytica

I don’t want this to be a political post because it isn’t, only that FB is (likely) gonna pay, and not pennies. They have done a lot of things with personal data that deserves at least a fine, and that is my only point.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Bluetrix. Reason: WSJ not NYT
      • #1874973 Reply

anonymous

As for the split vote … political reporting stuff, kinda expected in the USA today.

That’s fine, we could do with a little less political stuff but the remainder of two being in disagreement was merely a curiosity.

After whatever time it takes, the total bill for this could be a little more than five billion US dollars after the rest of the respective governments get done with their investigations.

• #1874981 Reply

Bluetrix
          AskWoody MVP

At the risk of this being deleted I will say read between the lines. 3-2, Republican majority 3, Democratic minority 2. It’s not vogue today to vote with the opposition party.

Not curious at all , they all be stupid!

• #1874524 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

$5 Billion dollar fine for using members data without consent.

Should be $50B.

• #1874547 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

A tactical setup for ’14 eyes’ as a means of quicker data collection, profiling?

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Facebook fined 5 Billion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.