News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Facebook Passwords Stored on Server in Plaintext

Home Forums Social media – Tools, Configuring privacy options Facebook Passwords Stored on Server in Plaintext

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’m sure the AskWoody community has heard of the issue with Facebook passwords stored on an internal server in plaintext:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/21/facebook-plaintext-passwords-exposed/

I recently changed my password, so I’m not sure if I should still change mine or not (although it’s easy to do with my password manager), plus I do have two-factor authentication enabled.

I’ll be writing an article on Mac password managers coming up as I delve more into Mac security.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Facebook, data security, mutually exclusive terms!

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“plus I do have two-factor authentication enabled.”

Facebook won’t let you opt out of its phone number ‘look up’ setting”

Users are complaining that the phone number Facebook hassled them to use to secure their account with two-factor authentication has also been associated with their user profile — which anyone can use to “look up” their profile.

Worse, Facebook doesn’t give you an option to opt-out.

Last year, Facebook was forced to admit that after months of pestering its users to switch on two-factor by signing up their phone number, it was also using those phone numbers to target users with ads…

Facebook won’t let you opt out of its phone number ‘look up’ setting

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ll be writing an article on Mac password managers coming up as I delve more into Mac security.

Please make a point to include cross-platform products?

Given that I’m already using GPG anyway, I find “pass” and compatibles very nice on various platforms, https://www.passwordstore.org/ – though it doesn’t include everything for sync between devices. You can use a Git server or any file sync solution.

Particularly nice with the feature to be able to encrypt to multiple GPG keys with granularity – I have a subfolder that’s shared with my spouse, for example.

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

When I enabled two-factor authentication, for some reason my Facebook account forced me to use my password manager’s two-factor authentication app. It wouldn’t even allow me to add a phone number to it, which I found strange.

On password managers, most the ones I cover are cross-platform (except one, iCloud Keychain). My goal in there will be to state how “Mac friendly” they are and which ones are better for Mac users and which ones are better for Windows users.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Facebook Passwords Stored on Server in Plaintext

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.