News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Facetime for Windows 8.1

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Facetime for Windows 8.1

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Can anyone recommend a good Facetime for Windows 8.1 option? I have heard that I first need to install an Android emulator, then Facetime. I wonder if there is a more straightforward way than this.

I would appreciate any info anyone could share along these lines.

Jim

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #1996837 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Jim, there’s no Facetime for Android AFAIK.

Sorry… but it’s wholly proprietary to Apple’s iOS/macOS systems.

Hope this helps…

• #1996902 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Can anyone recommend a good Facetime for Windows 8.1 option? I have heard that I first need to install an Android emulator, then Facetime. I wonder if there is a more straightforward way than this.

I would appreciate any info anyone could share along these lines.

Jim

What’s wrong with current software like Skype, WhatsApp…

• #1996909 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… right. Not only do you need an Apple device to run it on, you also need to have an Apple ID.

It’s technically possible install MacOS in a VM and run Facetime in that. It’s just, legally, this is only allowed if the underlying hardware is a Mac.

• #1996922 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackintosh
        Tried this on a certain model of Gigabyte mobo years ago..went to linux very soon after

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1998459 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackintosh
          Tried this on a certain model of Gigabyte mobo years ago..went to linux very soon after

Exactly. Note especially,

Apple’s software license for macOS only permits the software’s use on computers that are “Apple-branded.”[4]

So. As I understand this, to run Facetime on Windows 8.1 legally you need,

1) Intel-based Mac hardware. Can be used. Market pricing
          2) Windows 8.1 license. Either retail, or volume/subscription with downgrade rights.
          3) Installing Windows 8.1 on the Mac hardware. Might be a bit of a bother to install, depending.
          4) A VM host component in Windows 8.1. Easily available.
          5) A Hackintosh VM guest. Just a bit of work.
          6) Actually installing MacOS in the VM and making it work. This part might be a significant amount of work, depending.
          7) Valid Apple ID and ability to install applications from Apple’s store …

And that’s not going into making the camera work in it.

I don’t think I’d bother.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Facetime for Windows 8.1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.