• Faxing files from Documents

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Linux for the Home user » Linux – all distros » Faxing files from Documents

Author
    Topic

Running Mint Mate 19.2. LAN has HP LaserJet MF1522nf with fax function, set as default fax. Trying to fax docs directly from Documents without printing. Have multiple HP guides,  ToolboxFX  shows this device as default fax and displays a data field that allows building a queue of docs, however, the docs do not populate the data field. The tray notification lists them as “held for printing” and I can’t seem to find how to proceed with sending the fax either on the computer or on the HP control panel on the actual machine.  No responses as yet on the Mint forum.

Anyone here know how to handle this?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Viewing 12 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

My experience is with a Brother Inkjet MFC, but the concerns are probably similar. I use the fax function once in a blue moon and the printer is on my home network. For the Fax functionality, I have to find the phone cable and connect the printer to the phone jack. Then, I have to review the printer documentation for the Print-to-Fax operation, which eventually works.

I tried a Google search on your printer device and found the HP Support site where (some) documentation is available (there are some dead links). The Fax section of the User Guide contains several caveats regarding the telephone connectivity and the fact that faxing requires an analog connection which may no longer work with the telephone system you’re using.

The conclusion is to read carefully your fax-related printer documentation and experiment. If you have never used the fax function, try first to send a fax manually to verify that the telephone line supports fax transmission.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Regards, Phil

You may encounter issues with the telephone line if it is not a full voice grade land line. VoIP and such may work for voice, but not have the correct bandwidth to properly support FAX transmission.

Check with your local telecom provider if any doubts.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I’ve concluded that either the Linux driver for this oldish machine does not support faxing docs directly or, the switch by Verizon, years ago, out of analog service in favor of digital doesn’t support the operation I’m looking for.

This multifunction printer has worked fine over the years for all three functions- printing, copying, as well as faxing, but never had occasion previously to fax directly from the computer.  Plan B is to print the docs and fax the hardcopies.  My attempt to avoid wasting a pile of paper not to mention wasting toner appears foiled.

EDIT- Just dawned on me that we’ve sent faxes over the current digital phone line many times before.  Must be that the Linux driver will not accommodate the direct operation.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

This might help:

https://www.reallinuxuser.com/how-to-setup-your-printer-in-linux-mint/

Scroll down to the paragraph immediately preceding “What is important in the setup process for your printer”. There’s a description of something called the HPLIP project with a link to a SourceForge page. The link seemed obtuse to me but at the top of the page there are some tabs. Click the Summary tab and there appears to be some explanatory info along with other links. I’m not conversant with HP printers so a lot of it didn’t mean much to me.

Might be worth a shot and even if it isn’t the reallinuxuser site has some really good (IMHO) articles in the tutorials series section.

I’m aware of the HPLIP acronym and have some saved links on it, it is a proprietary HP protocol for their printers.  Haven’t yet looked at your link yet, just found this which may be helpful:

https://faxauthority.com/linux-fax/

By this time, I should rationally have abandoned this effort, printed the docs, then scanned and faxed them.  But I’m a stubborn cuss, and and maybe I’ll learn some (expletive deleted) thing if I can make this happen.

For the moment, some reading- your link and mine.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Your link looks a lot more straightforward then mine.

Do you by any chance still have Windows 7? I faxed something with a Canon multifunction printer several years ago and it was quite straightforward.

Sometimes I love computers and sometimes I hate them, but when I hate them they stick in my craw and elevate my stubbornocity. Probably something about not wanting to be beaten by little lumps of silicon.

Yes, this machine still has W7, but the Internet connection is disabled, seemed like a good idea with updates no longer forthcoming.

BTW- HPLIP= HP Linux Imaging and Printing.

Just got skunked trying a different route- downloaded the latest HPLIP driver from the Sourceforge site HP Linux Imaging and Printing download | SourceForge.net

Ran the package, after almost an hour watching the status bar crawl across the screen got an error message in an orange banner about wrong characters or suchlike.  Planning to try <sudo apt-get install hplip-3.22.4> (name of the package).  This will be a first-time operation for me.

In my ignorance, this plan to send faxes directly from the computer looks doable- after all, I can send them to be printed, and I can send a fax from the printer, so all I need is to direct the file(s) from print mode to fax mode.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Your logic seems good to me.

I have W7 on my daily driver and it dual boots with Mint. Once a week or so I boot to W7, connect to the internet (it’s no longer set to automatically connect, so I connect manually) and update Firefox, Opera, and the Microsoft Security Essentials virus definitions (MSE is supported on W7 until January of 2023, but there are other AV programs that still support W7). The last Security update I installed on W7 was from January 2020. Then I disconnect from the internet, shut down, and boot back to Mint. I think I’m very safe doing that, and I do it just to have a computer of last resort.

I don’t know how important the documents you want to fax are, or how inconvenient faxing them from a UPS Store (or whatever) is, but it might be easier to set up the faxing from the W7 side of your computer.

If I print the docs I can fax them from right here, no UPS store (locally Staples will do it) needed.  Printing them is the fallback position which I’m hoping to avoid with a direct fax operation and maybe further my education in the process.

Disabling that W7 Internet connection is not, AFAIK, reversible.  In any case, the HP driver in W7 hasn’t been updated since abandoning that OS.  I think the Sourceforge site still offers an updated HP driver for W7, but that OS is divorced from the Internet.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Just ran <sudo apt-get install hplip-3.22.4.run> terminal could not find it even though it’s downloaded.  How can I get the latest HPLIP driver loaded?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Do you know what the difference between the .run, ,tar.gz, .run.asc, and .tar.gz.asc files is? I don’t. Maybe you need all four in the same folder, kind of like you did when you installed the update to Libre Office. Or maybe you just need one file but a different one than the .run? I associate in my mind .tar files with Linux, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if asc is short for ASCII characters – you said above that you got a message about wrong characters.

I’m grasping at straws here.

I’m grasping too.  But on the Sourceforge site, there were about 8k per week download of the .run, and only one or two of the others.  The download entry is listed as “shell script”.

Terminal shows this:

Screenshot-at-2022-05-07-18-20-52
          Online search “how to install downloaded program on Mint” generates a hit that tells me to do exactly what I had already done.

Stumped.  Back at it tomorrow!

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

If your downloaded file is in your Downloads folder, open the Downloads folder, right click in an empty spot in the window, and choose Open in Terminal. You’ll get a terminal window that looks like what you’ve posted except there will be a ‘/Downloads’ between the ~ and the $. Enter the get-install command you did before. Maybe that will force the computer to look in the Downloads folder and find the right stuff.

Back in the Days of Dos there was a ‘change directory’ command that would have gone something like cd/Downloads. If you had a program in downloads, one way to run it was to make sure you were in the Downloads folder (i.e., directory) and the cd/Downloads was one way to get there. I’ll make a guess that a similar thing needs to happen in Linux.

OK, back at this.  Before I go further with this attempted install/ update, I’m interested in your take on this s/shot from Synaptic.  In addition to the installed version’s being several updates behind the current version, I read this as having 3 modules not installed.  Perhaps I should try installing one or more of them.  Not sure what the @ means in most of the listings.

My usual weekly backup day is tomorrow, but I can run it today in case I crash and burn and need to recover.Screenshot-at-2022-05-08-09-13-08

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Yes, that’s how I interpret it – 3 modules not installed. I don’t see how it could hurt anything to install them. In other words I’d be surprised if it caused a crash and burn.

BTW the red @ symbols are actually the symbol for “debian’. And no, I don’t get that and wouldn’t have guessed it; I just saw it somewhere and said “huh, well OK”. I would have picked something like, I dunno, a “D” or maybe a “d”

Ran full system backup today. 

BTW the red @ symbols are actually the symbol for “debian’.

There was a time long ago and far away, that I knew that!

One of the not-installed modules doesn’t have the @- maybe not compatible?  I’m going to run the other two and see what happens.

EDIT- turns out, marking an entry for installation generates a description.  hpijs does not apply to my effort but libhpmud-dev might help.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

You do have one non-debian module installed (hplib-gui).

I’d probably do what you’re suggesting, install the libhpmud-dev, see if that works, and if not then install hplib-gui.

Tried installing those modules, no change in function.

Next, downloaded the current driver package, 3.22.4 again.  Went to this site: hp’s Developer Portal | Installer Walkthrough  that walked me through the CLI install step-by-step, including removing the older version.  Took at least 1/2 hour, but mostly I just watched and provided input when prompted.

I think– all is good, looks like the fax capability may be there too- but at the end, a snag- install called for unplugging/ re-plugging the printer cable, and now the cable will not stay plugged into the port.  Can’t see exactly what the hangup is, but I’ll examine the port and cable with everything shut down.

The fax I need to send is to a 5-day-a-week office, so couldn’t do it today anyway.  I’ll report back with the sordid details.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Hopefully it’s just dust/dirt in the port or cable end that you can blow out by mouth or with a can of compressed air. Strange it would happen so suddenly, though.

Somehow I messed up the port.  The cable is the network type, rectangular with a thumb latch and retainer.  The cable is the same on both ends and neither end latches into the printer port, but the connection to the LAN, a wall socket, accepts and holds either end.

If I fuss with it, and hold it just so, the pilot light next to the port on the printer lights up, but the plug wants to fall out of the port.

I did print test pages while holding the plug in place. I may try tape(!) for the moment, that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Two things to check:

1. Be sure the appropriate cable/cord is plugged into its corresponding port. The telephone port(for fax) and Ethernet port are very similar in appearance, with a difference in size. An error is easy if you are dealing with something infrequently and/or reaching around behind the printer.
          2. Both phone cords and network cables are held in place by a plastic tab. These tabs sometimes break and lose their function of holding the cord/cable in place. Possibly, the broken piece could be left in the port.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Phil

It’s not the port that’s messed up. It’s the cable. You should replace the cable.

Ethernet cables are CAT5 or CAT6 and has 8 wires. The plastic end is called RJ-45. They come in various lengths and can be purchased at computer stores, Office Depot types, Wal-Mart types, etc. Be sure you get one long enough.

Phone cables are are smaller and contain 4 wires. the plastic end is called RJ-9 and is smaller than the Ethernet cable. You can damage the Ethernet port/card if you plug the phone cable in it, so pay attention to size! Phone cables can be purchased at the same stores as Ethernet cables and also come in various lengths.

The plastic tab on both types holds the connector in the port so it doesn’t fall out and the contacts are maintained. It’s important and delicate. Handle it carefully.

Yes, this cable is CAT6 (easily distinguished from CL45 etc. in spite of a comment above).  The cable connectors (and ports, of course) are the same on both ends, and the printer end shows no damage when compared to the LAN end- they are complete and identical.  Either end connects as expected to the LAN port.

I actually have a new leftover CAT6 jack from when I first wired up the LAN, but looking at the port panel on the back of the printer with thoughts of surgery makes me nervous.

As you say these fittings are not robust, and when the driver install called for unplug/replug, I had a tough time unplugging the cable from the printer due to that port panel being recessed- great engineering!  That port must be damaged, but I can’t really see in there.  Never needed to remove that plug before.  20-20 hindsight tells me I should have unplugged the other end- too late now…

I have come up with a workaround that may be the answer.  I may yet be able to recover.  Details (successful, I hope) to follow.  PS- I was just kidding about using tape!

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

That’s a bummer. I don’t know how hard it would be to replace a port.

Maybe a combination of zip ties, rubber bands, and tape will do the trick. :-))

Well, I managed to damage two opposite sides of the jack.  The jack is an integral part of the circuit board and can’t be changed.  In both photos it’s the second from the left. HP-Printer
      HP-Printer1

I re-defined the opening with some little pieces of plexi- seemed to work OK but for insurance I put a dab of silicone calk on the thumb latch side of the connector, opposite from the contacts.  While this move stabilizes the connection, it of course renders the cable non-detachable (OK, maybe detachable just once).  LAN pilot light lights up as expected, and at this point I’m letting the silicone set before I move the printer and close up the case.

I’m paying for this fax effort (the goal, remember?) with a piece of my life, between the new driver install and this misstep at the end.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

I’ve seen a lot of circuit boards – not on computers – where some of the components are essentially impossible to replace but where others can be replaced with a steady hand and a small fine-tipped soldering iron. Probably by the time you find a jack and replace it (if that’s doable) and charge yourself $50/hr, you’d be better off with a new printer. On the other hand if your fix works you shouldn’t have to unplug the cable for quite some time.

I have a pencil soldering iron with ample miles on it, and as they say, I’m not afraid to use it.  But that jack isn’t coming out.  I figure my hourly rate is $0.00- but even if I wanted to replace the board, economics are that parts for this printer, likely regarded as obsolete, are not available.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Looks like you can get one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B0016JTQUO

Doing a search also turns up a used one on ebay and maybe a couple other sites.

Or maybe your plexi and caulk fix will last.

Nice of you to follow up on my behalf.  Hadn’t looked for a board myself. Even if my jury-rig works, I could plan to do a better repair now that I know I can get in there.  The printer is now fully reassembled, test page printed, scan looks good to go, fax status untested.

Currently trying to find someone with a fax setup to test my upgrade before I try to send the fistful of records that got me started on this enterprise in the first place.  It will behoove me to have that transmission happen without a hitch.

One bonus while this repair project was underway- the phone line that runs through the printer serves the phone that takes voicemail.  With that phone disconnected, there were no robocall messages.  As soon as it was re-connected, the calls began anew.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Ran into a snag trying a test fax- waiting for wisdom from HPLIP support.  Meanwhile, I was able to read the p/n on that circuit board and wadda ya know- one site can supply a new one (price point not worth it) but over a dozen used/refurbished on ebay for 40 bucks and up.  At that price, it’s worth buying one.

Anyone who repairs much of anything knows that the part number is the gold standard.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Still waiting on HPLIP support, but it’s possible that our Mate OS does not fully support this operation- I’m currently stuck at the same point as before I updated v.3.17 to v.3.22.

Anyone have experience with xsane, faxing or otherwise?  It seems to have a fax function of some sort.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

After poking around online looking at 3rd-party fax apps I decided to try the HPLIP function again- and this time the fax went through!  Odd thing is- I didn’t do anything differently but this time the program allowed me to proceed through the setup and send the fax. I plan to send another test and if that goes through I’ll be more comfortable that the HPLIP app is operational.

Also- while the printer seems fully functional with the port repaired, I plan to buy a refurbished circuit board, to install eventually.

My appreciation to those who offered suggestions on this thread.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

2 users thanked author for this post.

Glad it’s working! It does seem strange that it took 2 identical tries. But one takes their computer wins where one can get them.

Remember- I’m fresh off that “no audio” problem that would’ve been cured with a reboot.

Not this one though- it misbehaved through multiple boot-ups and shutdowns.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

If/when you get to replacing the circuit board, let us know how it goes.

Glad it’s working! It does seem strange that it took 2 identical tries. But one takes their computer wins where one can get them.

Also strange- the HP icon in the tray is occasionally AWOL.  Same thing has happened in the past with the tray Internet icon.  Maybe they were resting.

Re the board- a few times in the past I have replaced boards (not in computer-related equipment).  I disconnect the power, then briefly connect a jumper to ground in case there is any static electricity present.  I use latex gloves to protect the equipment from my grubby hands.  The actual replacement is typically a matter of (carefully!) removing some connectors, then a few screws.  If I feel paranoid, I can take a pic before digging in.

Access to a board is not usually a problem- remember, the equipment had to be assembled in the first place.  These days, a case typically snaps together like a Lego set.  I’ve already been into the printer case.

The replacement board is in transit.  So far the various functions all seem to work with the jury-rigged repair.  I plan to swap out the board when I get a chance unless the repair fails.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

I wouldn’t worry too much about the missing icons – as long as the functions they represent are working correctly. I’ve experienced missing icons on all 3 of my old (purchased new in 2009 to 2011) Mint computers. It’s pretty uncommon and almost always “fixed” with a reboot. The only Mint computer I haven’t experienced icon loss is my “new” (purchased new in 2016) one.

I’ve experienced missing icons on all 3 of my old (purchased new in 2009 to 2011)

Good to know.  By that metric, this machine is also “old”, bought new in 2009, original OS was Vista.  When the tray icon for HP doesn’t display, I can still access the printer/fax dialogs via the main menu.

Re my faxing effort- total of  7 files, 20-some pages- the fax setup now displays the selected file names in the appropriate window and allows me to add to, delete, or reorder them, previously this data field remained blank.  And, as with the two single-page test faxes from yesterday, it acted on a “send fax” request.  The various elements of the app are appearing little by little. The tests were received, but today’s effort returned an error message while sending the 3rd page- but I believe the problem was on the receiving end, can’t confirm until next week.  My guess is either the receiving fax’s memory was full or it was out of paper if configured to print.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

When you send a fax from a regular fax machine you get a short printout after it’s finished that gives date, time, pages faxed, success or no success, and if it’s no success you get some kind of error message. Do you get something like that when you fax through your computer?

Faxing through the computer generates no paper at all.  The pop-up Device Manager GUI shows “fax sent” when done and the screen on the printer shows “sending p.x” as it proceeds, when finished reverts to a “ready” message.  IIRC, no printout generates if we fax docs from the printer itself, either.

For the fax tests yesterday, the recipient confirmed via email, fax received.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Too bad you don’t get more information even if it’s not printed but just a file you can read.

There is probably a log file somewhere with details of the transmission.

cheers, Paul

p.s. confirmation sheets only printed if you set them to print.

Haven’t found a log as yet, but perhaps it’s here somewhere- don’t really need it.  Forgot to mention that, in addition to the notifications mentioned above, there are various pop-ups in and above the tray that announce what’s going on in real time- mostly in attention-getting black banners.

With the aborted fax transmission, the announcement was “communication error”, same message as if the printer were not turned on.  This was while the printer screen was showing “sending p.3.”  The phone whose line runs through the printer is nearby and goes to speaker mode when faxing, so I heard the dialing, ringing, etc.  The targeted fax answered and the transmission began as expected.

Transmission stopped during p.3, as mentioned, and that error message popped up.  The phone line was still open, i.e. not disconnected, and all cable connections were intact.  So either the targeted fax stopped receiving (no paper? memory full?) or the transmission failed here, at p.3.  Couldn’t reach the targeted office by phone yesterday, but left a message.  On Monday I’ll try to find out what they actually received, which should pinpoint the failure.

Could be a chance that my jury-rigged repair on that port quit in mid-stream, even though the pilot light at the port lights up to confirm network connection.  The replacement board, which is fax-related, is en route and if there was no problem at the other end, I’ll install it when it arrives and hope all is well.

For all the time I’ve spent on this, I could have taken a thumb drive, hopped on my pogo stick, and hand delivered the d****d files!

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Too bad you don’t get more information even if it’s not printed but just a file you can read.

I remember getting a report text file when I ran Scandisk on Win 98 SE, and you could understand it!  Not much of that anymore.  Sigh.

We're getting Sticker Shock everywhere now, not just car dealers.

The brave new world of seamless UNproductivity, brought to you by Frustrating Device Specialists, Inc, LLC (emphasis on the ‘LL’).

I remember getting a report text file when I ran Scandisk on Win 98 SE, and you could understand it!  Not much of that anymore.  Sigh.

The brave new world of seamless UNproductivity, brought to you by Frustrating Device Specialists, Inc, LLC (emphasis on the ‘LL’).

Do I detect a note of ironic sarcasm?  Remember the marketing meme- “For your convenience…”

I have felt for years that marketing, now a black art, is to blame for many of society’s ills- but I won’t go off on that tangent here.  For marketing to succeed, all a vendor needs is to recruit a willing (gullible?) buyer.

P. T. Barnum had it right- “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

3 users thanked author for this post.

Do I detect a note of ironic sarcasm?

Yes!  And it’s full fledged sarcasm at that.

We're getting Sticker Shock everywhere now, not just car dealers.

So much more than just a note. In a musical sense, perhaps an opera or a symphony or a rock concert. In a literary sense, perhaps War and Peace or Moby Dick. In an automotive sense, perhaps the loping idle to full throttle roar of a 60s V8 muscle car.

And Marketing? Only a full-blown rant in the Rants section could begin to address that issue.

And Marketing? Only a full-blown rant in the Rants section could begin to address that issue.

Soooo tempting…

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Viewing 12 reply threads
    Reply To: Faxing files from Documents

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.