• FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok app.

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok app.

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

https://twitter.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1541823585957707776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1541823585957707776%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F9to5mac.com%2F2022%2F06%2F29%2Fdelete-tiktok%2F

..TikTok collects everything from search and browsing histories to keystroke patterns and biometric identifiers, including faceprints-which researchers have said might be used in unrelated facial recognition technology–and voiceprints. It collects location data as well as draft messages and metadata, plus it has collected the text, images, and videos that are stored on a device’s clipboard…

It is clear that TikTok poses an unacceptable national security risk due to its extensive data harvesting being combined with Beijing’s apparently unchecked access to that sensitive data. But it is also clear that TikTok’s pattern of conduct and misrepresentations regarding the unfettered access that persons in Beijing have to sensitive U.S. user data-just some of which is detailed below puts it out of compliance with the policies that both of your companies require every app to adhere to as a condition of remaining available on your app stores. Therefore, I am requesting that you apply the plain text of your app store policies to TikTok and remove it from your app stores for failure to abide by those terms…

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/29/fcc-commissioner-tells-apple-google-to-remove-tiktok-from-app-stores.html

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Too good to be true? Well, it is looking like “not true.”

Too bad, because I believe many people like to use TikTok:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/06/tiktok-cant-stop-users-from-doxxing-the-supreme-court/

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

I suppose that when the data harvesting in done by Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook.. it ok. After all, only the NSA, FBI.. has full access to the data (in addition to 14Eyes countries and hundreds of data brokers)…

1 user thanked author for this post.

TikTok regularly allows content which abuses and demeans children. There is more than plenty of evidence for that. Here is just one such example, from LI. Because I expect that the owner of this site will not want the video posted, I will not post it or link to it. This text below is quoted letter for letter:

“TW for any parent who’s kids are on TikTok PLEASE WATCH!

As an online creator, I know the app well, I also know many of you are not on Tik Tok but you’re children might be and you might not realise what type of content your kids are being exposed to. I am not judging anyone and I ask no one does either, this is not about parents lashing out at each other – this is about looking out for each other 💪🏻 – what you do with this information is your prerogative.

Many of you know Tik Tok as a fun app filled with dance trends and lip sync videos and a lot of it is exactly that. HOWEVER the app is also infested with misogyny, s*xual content and glorifying of male vi0lence particularly, against women and girls. There are trends upon trends that normalise vi0lence against women, sexual behaviour literally verging on p0rn and outright r*pe culture and our children are watching it.

This app that is advertised as suited for 13 year old fails to protect the most impressionable from the toxicity found on it, even when reported. And the dark irony of it all is that while boasting about murder1ng your date passes the apps “community standards”, content that highlights topics such as the gender gap, s*xism and d0mestic abuse often gets taken down as violating the same community standards 🤯 To say it’s mind blowing is an understatement. The hypocrisy is outrageous.

But most of all it’s concerning.

What exactly are we teaching the next generation? That killing w0men is okay but talking about it isn’t? What type of community are we aiming to create? My own children (who are under 13) and not on the app but a poll I ran last night revealed that nearly 20% of kids UNDER 13 are already using Tik Tok.

Parent to parent, I urge you to get your kids off the app, but more importantly I encourage you to talk to your children about these things. You may think they don’t see this type of content because they’re not users but pls consider that they might be watching on friends’ phones or on YouTube where a lot of the videos can also be found.

And as for TikTok my sincere hope is that you do better though I doubt it 🤦🏼‍♀️ TAG A FRIEND ❤️ #tiktok #community #content”

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.
      2 users thanked author for this post.

Looking at the concerns behind that request, it’s not any different from Google, Microsoft, farcebook and others tactics then! – shock! horror! /s
      Catch22 decision it is…dammed if they do, dammed if they dont.

Whilst at it, the FCC commissioner should also call on the removal of
      the ‘exposure notifications’ app for idevices, utterly useless nowadays when people won’t activate it due to tracking concerns.

2 users thanked author for this post.

it’s not any different from Google, Microsoft, farcebook and others tactics then!

Does Microsoft do all this?

It collects search and browsing histories, keystroke patterns, biometric identifiers, draft messages and metadata, plus it has collected the text, images, and videos that are stored on a device’s clipboard.

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.317 (group ASAP) + Microsoft 365

From what I’ve seen over many years, the answer would be yes, they do that. One can have a look at the granularities contained in O&O Shutup 10++ to see examples of what Microsoft does.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

Tell us what you’ve seen over many years about Microsoft collecting drafts, keystrokes and clipboard content.

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.317 (group ASAP) + Microsoft 365

Alex: “I suppose that when the data harvesting in done by Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook.. it ok. After all, only the NSA, FBI.. has full access to the data (in addition to 14Eyes countries and hundreds of data brokers)…

According to Mr Austin, in his previous and rather long comment, long but full of non-redundant and possibly also fully on point content, as no one here has denied any of this so far, “TikTok” is also a vehicle for criminals and expounders of hateful ideas, to send their apparently unmonitored short videos, in hopes to suay impressionable people to their evil causes; children and teens in particular, as they are their future.

In other words, TikTok as the proverbial wolf in a sheepskin.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

“TikTok” is also a vehicle for criminals and expounders of hateful ideas, to send their apparently unmonitored short videos, in hopes to suay impressionable people to their evil causes; children and teens in particular, as they are their future.

In other words, TikTok as the proverbial wolf in a sheepskin.

So are Facebook, Instagram.. and any other social media and messaging platforms.

I was commenting on something Mr. Austin wrote there, making actually a summary of it .  The part missing in that paragraph is where I wrote “According to Mr. Austin”.

I just want to make this clear.

If you’re a No-Script user, you have a choice of several applications that you can reach that will tell you exactly the level of privacy, or the lack of it, that you can expect from a website. All you need to do is click on the name of the website in the list generated when you click on the No-Script icon. A menu will appear from which you can chose which site to rate or scan the suspect website.

In the alternative, you can utilize the Blacklight Privacy Inspector by going to https://themarkup.org/blacklight. (I like this site because it does an in depth scan.) Just type the name of the site into the search box and it will scan the site for you for everything under the sun. Some of the information may be quite surprising.

Peace, CAS

Merci buckets. I didn’t know about either No-Script or Blacklight. The privacy extensions I’ve used across time have included Ghostery and Disconnect. But everything changes, so I keep an eye peeled for new stuff.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok app.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: